Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
majesty palms-winterizing

Posted by margaret-nj central nj (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 11:00

Hi, I have been perusing this site for the past two days, I even posted a palm question in the wrong section, oops.... Anyway, I bought two majesty palms in June. They did very well and look great around my pool. The fronds swaying in the gentle breese was so calming. I would like to keep them but do not want to store them in my house. They got really big and I heard inside, they attract spider mites. Can I cover them with heavy plastic and keep them on the side of my house for the winter? If I could, when should I do it. Around mid Oct?
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank yo- Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: majesty palms-winterizing

Hi,

I would throw them away-not worth the effort. They are dirt cheap at HOME DEPOT and COSTCO in spring.

They would die outside in NJ anyhow.
Boca Joe

o

Hi Margaret,

For the past two years I have been buying a Majesty palm for the summer and potting it up as a patio plant. I read a few articles on the internet in my research as to whether I should overwinter indoors.

They cannot take any temperatures below 30F nor be stored "dormant", so you must bring them inside if you want to save them. However, unless you have ideal conditions with bright light and warmth and humidity, they gradually deteriorate indoors and yes, are likely susceptible to spider mites.

In short, I read that despite being sold in huge quantities and basically at every retailer as houseplants, they make terrible houseplants unless you have great conditions. So, I made the decision in the past just to buy new plants every year. Chances are, if you were successful in overwintering them indoors, the plant going back outside next spring wouldn't look as good as it does now anyways, by the time it gets used to the poor light of indoors and back to the bright light of outdoors next spring.

FYI, are you zone 7? There are some palms that are hardier than this one and can be protected and possibly survive winter in your zone. Just mentioning in case you might want to experiment with hardier palms.

Regards,
Glen

o

yes, its surprising the number of these being sold
here in Florida they sell LOTS of them and most people dont know proper care for them and they end up dying anyway. Most people arent aware that they grow naturally in boggy/swamp-like conditions and they die a very slow death due to lack of proper amounts of water,
for most, they are better as a house plant as they can tolerate lower light conditions, if you can keep spider mite away; though if your house has proper humidity and moisture that can be avoided

o

Actually for the record, Majestys will pretty much die at 27F. And if there is a frost they don't even need that much. I'm in an area where the average low is 27-29F in the winter, and even with protection it barely makes the winter.

But at the average price of 10-20.. why bother :) Just buy another one

o

Hey,

I bought 2 majesty palms last summer, and I planted them in the ground. I also kept them in the ground through the winter with the coldest temperature being 13 degrees F. I wrapped each one with burlap, and then i wrapped christmas lights around the burlap. I also placed a frost tarp around the lights. I just unwrapped them and they are still alive and green. There are even new spears growing from their crowns. I would give it a try to keep them in the ground through out the year to see how they do. So far, mine are doing just fine. I think it is possible for you to keep them alive in the ground.

Good Luck with your palms

o

Hello VAgrown,
Could you give us some news of your majesty palms?
Sincerely.
Jean-Michel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here