Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon1949

candle bush or candle tree

jon1949
16 years ago

Hi, I have grown candle bush for a few years and they get 8 to 10 feet tall. This year I have one 16' tall. How high does a bush have to get to be called a tree? Picture below. john

Here is a link that might be useful: candle bush picture

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

John how big do these need to be before they will flower? I have a couple that I started from seed earlier this year and they are about 2-3 feet tall but no flowers yet. I'll have to winter them over in the GH. Do you think I'll get blooms next season? At 16' I'd definitely be calling it a tree!
    Karyn

• jon1949
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Karyn, The first year I planted 6 and 3 bloomed.They all got to be the same size(10').Now that they reseed I have enough planted that you don't notice the ones that don't bloom.This year I sprayed bloom booster on them and got a better results.Every winter I start several seedlings in my temporary greenhouse so they are 3' tall before I set them out in the spring.Maybe the longer growing period helps them bloom sooner. Good luck John

Here is a link that might be useful:

• surfbreeze
    16 years ago

Mine are blooming at different sizes. With cassias it appears it is the time off year they bloom rather than the size. Just my thought.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I didn't start them early in the season. I don't know if I should winter them over in the GH which doesn't have supplimental lighting or in the grow room in my house that does have HID lights. It's a pain growing zone 9 and 10 plants in zone 7. lol
    Karyn

• countrynest
    16 years ago

My Mother planted one in the Spring from seeds. Hers is 8 or 9 feet and blooming profusely.It is planted in the ground with southern exposure. She has a lake about 50feet from the tree. We'll see what happens this winter.
    jon1949, it is a tree if you can climb it. Felix

• shipp53
    16 years ago

so we just planted a candle tree in late june and no blooms so it has not seeded if i want it next yr i will need to over winter it in the greenhouse or maybe in the garage, right???

• jon1949
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi shipp, I've always started them from seeds in the greenhouse. I've never moved them from ground to pots before. Which ever way you choose you have nothing to loose because they will die if left out. There might still be time for them to bloom and seed. When they do seed the pods fill out quickly. If nothing works I'll be glad to send you some of my extra seeds. Good luck John

• debdodson6_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

Friend gave me what she called a candle tree first of July, it was in a 4" pot about 4" high. It is now September 7 and the tree is about 16' tall. She had told me to dig it up and bring in but there is no way I could do that at this point. I was wondering as to why it has not put off any flowers??