Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristgray

Is this really dracaena marginata??

kristgray
16 years ago

{{gwi:1315651}}

I was told this was a Madagascar Dragon Tree (it was a gift) but it doesn't look like any of the ones I have ever seen. Yes, it has similar leaf coloring, but every other one I've seen has shorter leaves and the shape is more spherical with the leaves more erect all around at the top of each trunk. *Please not that the bottom leaves would be hanging all the way down to the top of the pot. I trimmed the plant along the bottom because the cats were chewing what they could reach.

Comments (7)

• bradarmi
    16 years ago

It sure is Draceana marginatta, Madagascar Dragon Tree, and a nice one at that. Everything I read say to put it in "medium" light, but in my experience, they like lots of bright "high" light. I always have a problem with mine (over 10 years old, about 6 feet tall) bending toward the window. I am going to be bringing it to my office (20-foot windows with East and southern exposures) so that it doesn't bend too much this winter.

• kristgray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a follow up question...As you can see the three trunks are tied together. I repotted this from a plastic pot to a clay pot, and removed what was the 4th tree. (It got soft and broke in half, but the rest looked good and all had healthy roots still.) When I got it into the new pot one of them wouldnt stand on its own. It kept falling over. Could this just be because it is not established in the new pot and needs to reanchor? Has this ever happened to you before?

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Kris, sometimes it depends on the soil..if you're using a light soil, and the canes are top heavy, they'll lean..I had this problem w/mine after repotting..but because I mix my own soils, using all purpose, sand, perlite and some peat, I was able to use a certain amount of each medium so canes stood erect..
    If you have a thin string, you can tie the canes until they adapt..
    I agree w/the semi high-light..and water carefully..Dracaena marginata's do not like wet feet..Toni

• kristgray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I only give mine about 6oz of water at a time and I allow the soil to dry out thoroughly between waterings. It seems to do just fine with that. I'm wondering now about the amount of light it is getting. We have very large east facing windows and it sits about 8 feet back from the window.

• jennifer1
    16 years ago

Dracaena adapt well to where they are placed. They can adapt to low, medium and somewhat higher light (no direct sun). It takes a few weeks once you move it for it to adapt to it's new home. There is no reason a baby cane shouldn't stand up on it's own - it sounds to me like too much water or too much light (or both). Dracaenas don't like to be pampered. One reason they have continued to be so popular for so many years is because they can handle neglect (to a degree!). They do drink more water when they are actively growing. When they are dormant - VERY little water.

• orchidguyftl
    16 years ago

looks like it has been grown in lower light
    not in full sun like we grow them here
    been looking for a Dracaenaq draco (Dragons Blood) myself

• edleigh7
    16 years ago

They do grow in full sun here all the time, however if it is not used to it, the plant will need to be exposed to it slowly

Ed