Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New growth on Prayer plant is half dry

Posted by giselle9 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:50

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a calathea ornata and a maranta prayer plant. They are both out of direct sunlight and drafts, on humidity trays, with the soil kept a little moist with rain or spring water. I finally got one new leave on each plant and as they were still rolled up, I could tell the leaves were half light brown and dry and shriveled up. The bottom of the new leaves seemed to be fine but the top grew in half dead it seems. What could this be due to as I take great care of them?

My mother has a makoyana near an air conditioner with no humidity tray, watering it with regular tap water and it's beautiful. I don't understand!

I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,

giselle9

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New growth on Prayer plant is half dry

try watering it more often. it should never dry out - not even the top - should feel slightly moist, not dry.
what sort of pot it's in?
smth shallow would be best - smth like hanging basket pots: wide on top, very narrow in the bottom - that will prevent soil from getting soggy and allow the rhizome to grow wide.
try putting it in very large plastic bag for a month - dry -cleaners is large and has a hole on top - for venting. see if it does better - well enough to grow some at least.

o

smth = something

I think

Carol

o

ee-ha! i got me a translator! am i that cryptic? just curious..:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here