Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lellie_gw

Plant ID needed, please...

lellie
16 years ago

...and your thoughts on growing this.

I asked for an ID months ago and received one, but cannot find the thread...so please, forgive my asking again.

I saw this gorgeous...although tattered, specimen shown below, at a neighbor's.

(Not the Bismark...the plant behind it)

I bought one yesterday and put it in the ground this morning.

Any tips on care?

Thanks, folks.....

Comments (16)

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Lellie,

It is either a Traveller's Tree(Palm) or a White Bird of Paradise.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

That's a Strelitzia nicolai - White Bird of Paradise.

• lellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

White BOP?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm...oh well...I reckon that'd be nice, too.

I wanted a Traveler Palm for height but I don't think that's what I bought.
    Drat!!!

Here's a shot from today after I planted it....whaddaya think?
    It's about 5' high.

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

I really think the large plant behind the bismarkia is a Traveler's Palm -Ravenala Madagascariensis.

• lellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think so too, barb...and that's what I thought I bought...there was, of course, no tag on any of the pots.

The more I look at it, the more inclined I am to agree with ricky...I believe its the Strelitzia nicholai...Yikes!
    Talk about tall...LOL

• lellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I meant to say..."I thought I bought the TP...not a Bismark.
    It's late...I need sleep...LOL

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

That is NOT a Traveler's Palm. Notice how the new leaves come out from the trunk. This is a Traveler's Palm. Notice how the fronds come out from a central axis:

{{gwi:1315756}}

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Lellie,

I am inclined to agree with you that the tree behind the Bismark is a Traveler's Tree. It just hasn't developed a trunk. I had 2 at my home in the Keys that looked the same way.

As to the one you bought, it looks like a White Bird of Paradise. Then again, it is hard to tell with young plants.

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

I agree with you Bo. Here's a photo of my Traveler's Tree. It's 27 years old. I've been trimming the pups off or I would have a picture to show you how look just like that photo of Lellie's. But I agree, it's hard to tell with young plants. My neighbors across the street have White Bird of Paradise and it's similar to my pups but not my tree.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

barb - that is NOT a Travelers Palm (Tree as you called it) it's a White Bird. Travelers Palms do not produce the flowers you are getting. Look at the photo above of a Travelers Palm and notice how the fronds are produced around a central axis, then look at yours. Also a Travelers Palm is a single trunked tree, what you have is a multi-trunked plant.

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

I'm confused. This is where I've been getting my information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

barb - Forget about everything else, just look at the flowers on your White Birds. The Travelers Palm has small white to yellow flowers, almost insignificant in size.

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Barb,

If you have access to the book 'Tropical Flowering Plants' by Kirsten Llamas, she has pictures of the two plants with inflorescenses side by side. You will see the difference. I tend to agree with you.

• joel_morningstar
    16 years ago

Now that everyone is totally confused I'll add my two cents!
    All the pictures shown so far"are"The Traveler's Palm/Tree-Ravenala madagascariensis. Characteristics include:
    1)greener,longer and more erect leaves bore in a single plane, White Birds are when young but start spiraling fairly quickly.
    2)faster growing/more vigorous
    3)Traveler's"most often" pup in time although many people maintain them as a single trunk
    4)Traveler's flowers are"inside"the tall upright green bracts(as shown in all pics above)resembling a Heliconia, the flowers,however,(unlike White Birds)are small and hidden in the bracts.
    5)Seeds are an amazing"electric neon blue", white birds have"orange tufts"on each seed. Seeds of both can be found tucked inside the spent bracts in stubby banana-like fruits which split open when dry.
    Joel

• edleigh7
    16 years ago

I disagree joel, I think pic 2, the young plant is BOP, although I agree that it hard to tell when they are young

Ed

• ta2dan
    14 years ago

I cant believe I just got a white b.o.p. for only $10. About 3.5 ft. tall. Crazy huh?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz