Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgyimesi

Shade tropical for Virginia

kgyimesi
16 years ago

We have a beautiful Mediterranean style home that we're in the process of re-landscaping in Richmond, VA. We're looking for a nice tropical tree/shrub that we can plant by one of the side entrances.

The area is mostly shady, very little direct sun, its by a door and would get strong protection from the wind (near a corner), ideally would grow to 5-8 feet... and of course it needs to be able to survive in the ground in Zone 7.

... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (2)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

Well, when you say tropical, do you mean tropical as in something that will need to come inside as soon as temps get down to 32 degrees? It's a bit late in the season for that.

If you mean something that is hardy, but looks rather tropical, that opens up a whole range of shrubs. Basically I would think you would want something that is evergreen, broadleaf with maybe some variegations or maybe flowers - or maybe just handsome foliage.

For a mostly shady spot you could try the following shrubs that should be hardy in your region (these are some of my favorites):

Viburnum 'Chindo'
    Aucuba japonica
    Cleyera (Ternstroemia gymnanthera)
    Cammelia japonica
    Variegated Osmanthus heterophyllus (looks like a holly)
    Evergreen Euonymous japonica 'Silver King'
    Fatsia japonica (stays smaller)
    to name a few.

• kgyimesi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thx for the list... I decided to try the Fatsia Japonica, I think it'll look great in that location. Is there anything I need to do special to protect it in the winter??