Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Mandevilla laxa

karyn1
16 years ago

Can anyone tell me anything about this vine? I know that it's also called Chilean Jasmine and the flowers are white and supposedly fragrant. Someone just gave me a couple seed pods from this plant. I have several other mandevillas that look similar but the foliage especially is different. They have much thicker, shiny leaves and the blooms come in several colors. None of my mandevillas have ever produced seed pods. How is this different from other mandevillas? Any tips on how to start these seeds?

Thanks,

Karyn

Comments (7)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Well I haven't planted my seeds yet and I better get with it I guess lol. I do have some photos of my pink mandevillea seedpod and seeds. I am just going to put them in fine potting soil and keep damp not wet, on heat, under lights.
    The chilean jasmine is fragrant, it always seemed more fragrant in the evening to me. It is supposed to sprout easily from seed. I used to have this plant in LA and it was easy to do for. I never tried it from seed though.

Here is the pod on the plant. Notice how it looks sort of like the vine but sticks up like horns..At first i didnt realize it was a seedpod and couldnt figure out why the end of the vine looked that way LOL!
    {{gwi:1315815}}

Seeds close up
    {{gwi:1315816}}

~SJN

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've never had a seed pod on any of my mandevillas. The mandevilla laxa that I got these pods from wasn't in bloom and I didn't know what it was right off. The seed pods are similar but they hang down and look like giant wishbones.
    Karyn

16 years ago

I never had any before last year. But...last year I put together a moon garden of sorts with all my pots lol. I had cestrum nocturnum, stephanotis, brugs, datura, moonflower vine, indian night jasmine, maid of orleans jasmine and the mandevilleas were sorta in the middle of it all. Well it attracted the hawk moths by the hundreds and I saw them at the mandevilleas. So I am pretty sure that it what pollinated them. I had the pink spotted hawkmoths and a plain brown kind. The pink ones really seemed to like mandevilleas so if you can attract those maybe they will help you out lol.

Hopefully someone else can tell you some more about the specific mandevillea laxa, I'm afraid I havent been able to help to much ;P
    ~SJN

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have enough seeds to play with and can probably get more so I'll try a few different methods. Do you have any idea how long they are viable? I have lots of Sphynx moths, especially around the brugs and jasmines. I love watching them. I remember the first time I saw one years ago I had no idea what in the #$%& it was. lol
    Karyn

• wanda
    16 years ago

Here's a link that will help.

I have M. laxa. The fragrance doesn't waft IMO, and you have to stick your nose in the flower. If there's a lot of flowers, you can sometimes smell it as you walk past. It's deciduous and hardier than other mandevillas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mandevilla laxa

16 years ago

No clue how long the seeds are viable for...maybe someone else knows. I don't think mandevilleas must be propagated very often from seed in the U.S. (just guessing lol).

• elena1948
    13 years ago

Hi,

My name is Elena, I live in Spain in the Northeast. I have a Mandevilla Laxa that last year was beautiful, but this year, has begun to have problems, the born leaves green but gradually turn yellow and fall. Also the same with the flower. I need to know how I can fix this problem. To this happen?.

For more information I will tell you which is situated on a terrace south side, which in winter has a lot of sun, but in summer the sun is only in the morning
    Please if anyone knows the solution I would appreciate you tell me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Elena