Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening in Medellin, Colombia

Posted by pbunch Mid-Elevation Tropic (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 14:15

If anyone is interested I am constructing a non-commercial blog on life and gardening in Medellin, Colombia. The subject matter is varied and some things may be of interest to readers of this forum. Please take a look at http://pbunch.wordpress.com/

The right hand sidebar has links to the various pages. See Plant Stuff for garden related items. You will find pages on Gesneriads, Aroids, Fuchsia, Tropical Gardening and others.
Phil Bunch
Medellin, Colombia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening in Medellin, Colombia

Phil - did you ever find some galangal root? I was visiting friends in Medellin this summer and can attest to the wonderfulness of this city. It is pretty much the only place I plan on visiting over and over again. It is also very easy to get to from the US east coast (this is important since I hate to fly).

I have a plant that I need help identifying that you might know. I will have to dig around for a photo of it in bloom. They are bushes that bloom pale purple trumpets - look like a bignonia. There is one growing at the Botanical garden there in Medellin but it didn't have a sign on it and it wasn't in bloom at the time. Mine are seed grown from another friend's garden in Bogota, so I think it prefers cool weather.

I'll be back down there next summer and will seek you out and try to get you some galangal (it is easy to grow here and will sometimes overwinter).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here