Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What A Deal At Wal-Mart

Posted by theseventhlegend Florida 8B (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 14:54

Scored a White Bird Of Paradise today with two 4 ft plants in the pot for $8.97. It was labeled "tropical foliage". Ya gotta love it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What A Deal At Wal-Mart

Though I don't live in Fl. I would love a White Bird of Paradise. Everything is more expensive here in the Midwest.
Tropicals that is.
That is a very good deal though, pat yourself on the back.

o

The big box stores here rarely carry interesting plants and when they do you have to get them quick or they'll be dead. Even the nurseries carry few of the less common tropicals. I've asked about plumerias and many of the nurseries had no idea what I was talking about.
Karyn

o

I got my split-leaf philodendron at Walmart for $1.87 and it's been a very good plant.

o

I am envious. The box stores here rarely have anything of interest, especially tropicals. Walmart seems to specialize in half dead bonsais and parlor palms.

o

try LOwes if youve one nearby ask the garden people there, ones in iowa can get v ginger, bird of paridise, swiss chees philo[ know thats not tech. name] and others. at good prices..

o

Got BOP's down here for $6.97 at Wally World. Two to a pot, 3-4ft tall.

Tropicalfreak

o

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 17:52

You have to get the more unusual stuff almost right when they get it or they kill it.
In the past 2 years I have seen Black Taccas, White Taccas, Coffee arabica, Curcuma Khymer Orange, Buddah's Hand Citron, Thai patio Mangos, Avocados, tibouchina heteromalla, and Bottle Palms (Hyophorbe lagenicaulis), to name a few things, at box stores.

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 22:43

Just got this 7 foot Teddy Bear Palm (Dypsis leptocheilos) at Lowes for $39.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here