Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juanh_gw

What are these lovely plants?

juanh
15 years ago

These plants with awesome orange flowers caught my attention while vacationing in Mexico. Does anyone know what they are?

This one has larger leaves and flowers:

This one is similar, but with smaller leaves and flowers and some sort of berries:

Here's also an interesting Bougainvillea that has white and purple flowers on the same plant.

What kind of bougainvillea might this be?

Comments (10)

• bihai
    15 years ago

Either #1 or #2 is an Ixora. I don't know the leaf shape well enough to pick which one without looking it up online, LOL

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

The first Ixora is "Trinidad Red" the second one is "Nora Grant". Trinidad Red is a very old variety found throughout the Caribbean. Nora Grant is a nursery hybrid that is one of the most overused plants in the landscape here in South Florida.

• ankraras
    15 years ago

Last photo is Bougainvillea.

{{gwi:7760}}

• tropical_philippines
    15 years ago

Locally, we call these 'Ixora' plants as 'santan'. The red-orange flowered varieties (shown in your photos) are the most 'popular' varieties and are widely used (or like in Florida, 'overused') as landscape plants in our city streets because they bloom quite easily and profusely when exposed to full, hot, tropical sun, and they can survive extended periods of dryness. (They don't die as easily as other plants even if you forget to water them.)

The only problem with these plants is that they have to be in full sun to bloom profusely. Otherwise, you'll only have lots of green leaves with few flowers.

These plants come in many varieties. In addition to the common 'red-orange' variety, There are also pink, yellow and white santan (ixora) varieties which are good alternatives for the much overused 'red-orange' ones. However, the other colored varieties are less vigorous and also tend to be less profuse bloomers than the more common red-orange ones (shown in your photo).

tropical

• gardenerme
    15 years ago

I believe that the bouganvilla is not a special variety with 2 colors, but rather 2 plants, a white one and a purple one, grown together. Beautiful! By the way, I have seen Ixora at home depot recently.

• juanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Today I actually found an Ixora called Maui Red at Target that looks identiacal to the first photo, and I took it home with me. They also had a yellow variety, but it didn't look as nice.

I'm sure that it will not survive outdoors in my zone (9b) so I plan to put it in a pot (with pebbles and water on the tray for added humidity) and bring it indoors during the Winter.

In regards to the bouganvilla, it really did appear to be a single plant with blooms of two different colors. Can anyone confirm if this is possible, and if so, what variety might it be?

These bougainvillas were all over the place in the hotel, but they weren't blooming profusely, and I was told that it was because of the high heat and humidity.

• sfmacaws
    15 years ago

I have seen bougainvillea with 2 color blooms, I got right up on it and the blooms(really leaves) were coming off the same stalk to the best I could tell. It's beautiful, looked much like your pic.

• juanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, I ended up boing back to Targtet to buy a second Ixora "Maui Red". Upon close inspection, I noticed that there are actually 3 plants planted close together in a small pot (I guess to give a "fuller appearance). Will the plants grow OK if I leave them together an eventually transplant them into a larger pot (21 inches), or will 3 in a pot just be too crowed, and they'll be better off separated?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

• harrellpn
    15 years ago

live in zone 8 San Antonio, I have Pink and Yellow IXORA, They are shrubs (evergreen). They have all made it through the last few freezes we have had here. They are very hardy plants or I just got lucky. Three in a pot, yes crowded. It will grow fairly quickly if given the proper care. I have them in the ground in different areas of my landscap.

• v1rt
    15 years ago

Those are lovely Bougainvilleas juanh. Our neighbor's Bougainvillea reaches our property. When I was 5(1976), my dad taught me how to make its leaf make a loud popping sound by putting a leaf on our hand. I'm a rightee, that means, the leaf will be placed on my left hand. My left hand will be holding an imaginary 1" pipe making a circle or hole. Then on the hole is where the Bougainvillea leaf is placed. The hole shouldn't be wide than the leaf. The leaf should be able to cover the hole perfectly. We use our right hand's palm to hit the leaf flat hard. There should be a hole on the leaf after you popped it. :D hehehe.