Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanilla Orchid...What do you use?

Posted by fernaly z7 AL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 15:07

Hey all, I'm wondering what you vanilla orchid growers let your vines sprawl over. Do you use a wooden trellis or a moss covered pole or is there something better? My vanilla orchids are in my greenhouse planted in pots.

Alyson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanilla Orchid...What do you use?

Hi Alyson,

I grow my vanilla on a shrub in the back yard. It is about 8 feet high and will start to grow again in October our Spring. The vanilla plant's roots sprout from each leave node and attach to the supporting shrub's trunk. As this seems to work ok I think a wooden trellis or pole would be best. If you use something like spagnum moss the roots may get too wet and rot in the cooler months.

o

Thanks John, My orchid is no where near that size...yet. Should I use a trellis large enough for the future growth or should I just try to up grade the size as the orchid grows? I actually have the ability to put a very large trellis up but I would have to beat and hack back all of my other vines that have no respect for space; like my rangoon creeper that seems to be true to it's name. I have to hack it out of my orchid cactus every few months.

Alyson

o

Hi Alyson,

I think you should try to anticipate the size of the orchid as the roots will attach to the support and changing the support at a later date will damage the roots. The orchid is fairly supple so you can thread it up and down. I think it has to reach a length of over 10 feet maybe longer before it will flower. They also probably need fairly bright light as well.

Regards,

John

o

Hi
IME management is the tough part with Vanilla. It can be pruned in any way you like, but will not flower until at least 6/7 feet long even then not many.
Plan on a sturdy trellis at least 6 feet high . I find they will grow on almost any material but of course metal gets hot ,wood rots lol Maybe PVC??? gary

o

I used to have it growing up my grapefruit tree and it was just wonderful. Now I've got it started growing up a pvc pipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here