Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BOP not flowering!

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 15:08

Since I've owned this bop, it bloomed once this past late winter in the house .
I am totally frustrated with this specimen, mostly because I set it outside inthe summer for tropical beauty and bloom! Just grew more foliage all summer despite the fertilization. Yes it gets proper sun exposure. I had to experiment with that also in spite of info saying to place it in full sun, not! It curled up doing so...looking for someone that is very knowledgable in growing BOPs. Here is a photo of the lower portion...should it be divided, will that encourage blooming? I want this thing to bloom during the summer. 🙏

photo image-7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BOP not flowering!

Firstly, it isn't a tropical plant. It's from South Africa, a mediterranean climate with cooler wetter winters and hot dry summers. Flowering is normal during the wetter period. They really flourish in that sort of a climate in full sun. They can commonly be seen in gardens loaded with flowers. Most likely the problem you're experiencing is from having it in shade for so long and then placing it directly into the sun. That will knock most plants. Aside from that, it's unlikely to be getting enough overall sun anyway. Dividing it would set it back while it tries to recover.

o
RE: BOP not flowering!

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 23:04

I'd suggest moving it into a larger pot, and feeding more regularly with a bloom fertilizer, and acclimating it to get full sun when outdoors. This is actually native to the subtropical parts of the Eastern Cape of South Africa, not the Mediterranean climate Western Cape, so in habitat gets more summer rain and drier winters. High light levels year round(full sun) is best for most blooms. Here in California it blooms most heavily in winter into spring, but some plants can be seen to bloom at any time of the year sporadically.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here