Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedpod ID needed please...

Posted by greenclaws England (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 15:37

Hi, may be a long shot, but, has anyone out there any suggestions as to what this could be or where I can find out?? My sister obtained it with a collection of shells she purchased from a newspaper ad. The previous owner had no idea where it was from or what it is. The coin is our UK one penny, ie approx 2cms in diameter. The pod had opened and shed its seeds from an opening between the two long 'prongs' long before she had it so we have no idea what the individual seed was like.
Thanks in advance, Gill.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedpod ID needed please...

'Tis OK folks, have answered my own question...found it simply by Googling 'SEED POD TWO LONG PRONGS' and have come up with the answer..its a seed pod of Devil's Claw/Proboscidea parviflora!!! Why I didn't think to do that first I shall never know, oh well! duh.
Gill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Devils Claw pic

o

If this is the same Devil's Claw I know, the whole seedpod is used in Namibia as a cure for backache! I have tried it and don't have any more backache, dont know what that proves! It was horribly bitter.

o

Hi Gill,
There are a few varieties. I'm growing them for the first time this year. The plant looks similar to a bushy squash variety but the flowers are very pretty almost orchid-like. I can slip a few seeds in an envelope if you'd like. I don't think there would be a problem getting them to you.
Karyn (from the plumie forum)

o

Hi there Karyn....will email you in a moment...thanks.
Never thought we would be able to find out what it was so quickly, the pod looks really weird. Pity it was empty when she found it with the shells she bought. Wouldn't like to eat it though even if I had back problems would you, prefer an aspirin personally!!??
Cheers, from Gill (and her sister!)

o

Hi Karyn, the seeds have safely arrived, many thanks, have emailed you .
Gill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here