Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meilie_gw

Loquat: Advice for Indoor Growing

meilie
18 years ago

I have a young, very small loquat that I hope to grow indoors, as it would perish in Maryland. Does anyone have advice to sucessfully growing one indoors? I understand that the flowers bloom in the Fall and the fruit ripens towards February. This sounds like it will be a real challenge if I get fruit in a couple of years. Anyone know how old it must be to fruit?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (20)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

I've only ever grown Loquat trees outdoors. They only produce fruit in our mildest winters here in zone 8. They begin bearing fruit in good conditions in 3-5 years. Loquat seems to grow very quickly and I wonder about indoor conditions.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    18 years ago

There are some loquats growing outdoors in Arlington, VA (zone 7). You might give them a try in a protected location (of course, no fruit this far north). Otherwise, they'd need a lot of light indoors I imagine.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

I honestly don't think you'll ever get fruit, unless you have greenhouse conditions. I had one in SE S. Carolina and it never fruited. It was planted outdoors, and died one year when it got down to 5 degrees.

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

I think you can grow a small specimen inside, but I agree with the others, it simply won't fruit for you.

• eyeckr
    18 years ago

In my experience I have known loquat flower and fruit in a pot. Currently I have a couple of 5gal potted loquats that are only 3 1/2 - 4ft tall with multiple flower buds from which I'm expecting fruit. Of course I will be overwintering these indoors.
    The key in being able to do this is having a NAMED VARIETY grafted plant. I have the Big Jim and McBeth variety loquat that make nice sized, good tasting fruits. Advance, Golden Nugget and Champagne are also noted to produce desirable fruit.
    Seedling plants Im afraid will be quite a challange as far as getting any fruit to set in a manageable sized pot.

• garrett_thegrowstore_com
    16 years ago

We carry all indoor growing supplies for setting up an indoor grow room. Grow lights, hydroponic supplies, and more. We are a 1 stop shop for all things indoor growing.
    We carry many exotic fertilizers, foliar sprays, and plant supplements. Your plant will grow twice as fast using our methods. Our team of experienced and master gardeners will answer your questions and help your garden grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: thegrowstore.com

• Virginia
    16 years ago

I've grown loquats in the soil as well as in pots in Arlington, VA and actually had two potted ones bear fruit. The problem is that they flower too late for most pollinators around here and if you have them inside all winter, they'll never set fruit. My best results (and it was a whole lot of work!) was to have them in pots and keep them outside in all but the coldest weather. I would drag them into the garage whenever the temps were well below freezing for an extended time or when sleet was predicted. Then I'd drag them back outside and hope some stray bugs would find them and pollinate them. I could have done the pollination by hand also.

The fruit was delicious and abundant, and although the squirrels took a bite out of some of the unripe ones, by the time the fruit was ripe, the squirrels had given up! I think the fruit was ripe in early June--much later than its usual ripening in San Antonio (where I got the seeds).

The ones I leave in the ground come back every year. They die to the ground, but are never killed outright.

You can contact me directly if you want any more information--or more loquat seedlings. I've got a bunch! VirginiaHBurton(at)aol.com

• subtropix
    16 years ago

I wouldn't rule out growing them outside. I have successfully overwintered loquats in the ground in NJ (zone 7). I have hardly any foliage burn this winter (minimum temp. was 11 F.). I have it close to the building for extra heat. Planning on espaliated them eventually (currently the tree is about seven feet). You can equally grow it well in containers. I have had them for many years in containers before planting into the ground (they transplant very, very well). If you grow in a container, obviously you have to protect from frost in winter. Try to maintain a temperature range of 40-65 F. in winter and let dry between waterings. You can always drag it out in the spring and move it indoors for the winter. I'm not sure about flowering/fruiting, but I wouldn't rule it out if conditions suit it. PS. They are also easy to propagate from seed (fruit is ocassionally available from ethnic or gourmet fruit markets around June). Great plants! Good luck!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I have 2 loquat trees in containers. They are from seed and a bit over a year old. I keep them in the greenhouse over the winter and they are doing great. They're both about 3' tall with beautiful foliage. I have no idea if they will produce fruit or not but I've had good results with papayas and mangos bearing fruit. I'm afraid to try keeping them outside year round. I can't even winter over a brug outside with a heavy mulch in a protected area.
    Karyn

• Christina Na
    7 years ago

Hi---it's been a decade since the original post, but I was wondering if there was any success with the loquat in a container?

I just bought a 7ft loquat tree from fast-growing-tree online, and it's very, very thin, trunk's diameter is maybe the same as my thumb. It also looks kind of strange, just one tall trunk, with leaves coming out of it, but no branches. The tip of the tree has purplish leaves, the rest of the leaves are green and healthy looking. The root of the ball is fairly small (1-2 gallons?) Unfortunately, I got too excited when I was on the website and ordered it right away when the site said my zone was okay for this plant. Further research tells me that NYC might not have the right conditions for this tree to grow fruit. (Fruits/blossoms die under 19-25 deg F)

I'm curious if I were to move it indoors in the winter, would the sunlight coming through the window be sufficient? And is it necessary to keep it in a warm room (I see suggestions for 40-65 above), or is it fine as long as it's above the freezing temperature that kills the fruit?

Really hoping that this tree works out! Thanks for any advice you may have

• subtropix
    7 years ago

They are actually very easy in containers. If the outside site is reasonably protected (from wind and excess Winter sun), a healthy tree would probably make it in and around NYC Metro. They will do quite well too with indoor light conditions. A coolish room is better than an overheated NYC apartment if that is the choice. BTW.,, they are also easy and fast from seed. Fresh fruit used to be available in Chinatown in June. My biggest issue with outdoor growth is suburban DEER..., they love the evergreen foliage in the dead of Winter... ., though imagine that is not YET a concern in NYC, LOL. Good luck.

• Christina Na
    7 years ago

Thanks! Sounds like I will have to watch out for the raccoons and the squirrels. They still have them occasionally in Chinatown, but it's going to be more exciting to pluck them off the tree :) Would you say that a 7ft tree is ready to bear fruit (under right conditions)---or would it take a few more years while the branches grow out?

• Christina Na
    7 years ago

whoaa those look amazing! Are all the leaves supposed to have a fuzzy underside? I wasn't sure if mine didn't have them because it's a younger tree or what..

Right now I've planted mine in a container with 5-1-1 mix I tried to replicate (that another thread referenced) and I plan on feeding the plant some fertilizer (Fox Farm) once the plant's adjusted.

The tree is swaying a lot in the wind atm...this tree was shipped pre-pruned; would you guys advise chopping off the top to encourage some branches to grow? Right now it's just 7ft tall with no branches and a few leaves.

• J C
    7 years ago

Hi pisco(6), I am impressed by your loquat trees. I am in NJ and zone6. Are they in green house or patio with glass? Would you mind to share the type of loguat they are? Where did you get them? Thanks!

• pisco
    7 years ago

They are in the green house in the winter and now they outside.I got the seeds from Portugal.The trees flower by November then goes inside the green house

• Barbara Dougherty
    7 years ago

I have a loquat tree I grew from a Florida seed, I have it in a pot in the house and it is growing beautifully, I don't know if it will produce fruit I am wondering what kind of fertilizer. thank you if you can let me know.

• Tibor
    7 years ago

Christina -

I have a few trees that I have grown from seeds I got in CA, I am in Boston, so I don't think they would survive outdoors. They are about 3 years old now. I keep them indoors and they grow a lot of leaves; in the summer I take them outside and some leave's edges go brown.

I was wondering whether the trunk of your tree is getting any thicker. Mine are too thin.

Pisco, yours are amazing!

Thanks

• pisco
    7 years ago

My trees is about 6 years old the trunk is only 2 inches and branches only 1/2 inch,Maybe your pot is to small mine is 24" pot

• Tibor
    7 years ago

Thanks, Pisco! Perhaps, but when I repotted it last the rootball was quite small.