Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Coffea varieties and species

ltecato
14 years ago

Hi guys. I live in Southern California, where it's possible to grow coffee plants outdoors year-round. I have planted a few of the C. arabica that are sold in garden stores as houseplants in my garden. They are doing OK, but I also got a dwarf arabica (might have been "Nana" or "Catura") that seems to be a little more vigorous in this setting.

This has inspired me to try a few of the non-arabica species. I ordered some C. canephora (robusta) seeds on eBay, but I suspect they might be hard to get started, so I'd rather have a live plant if possible. Does anyone know where I can get one? What about others species like C. racemosa?

Comments (7)

• fluffybonbon
    14 years ago

Hi ,
    I also living in CA but northern area. I grow some coffee plants from seed .
    They are C.Arabica from VN. They are doing well inside in the pot.
    I am thinking to transfer them out side in grown.
    Please, share any advise or tips would help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Joy

• ltecato
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joy. I've done a little research but don't know much that isn't already out there on the Web. On this site, I found some old posts where some growers were saying arabica could not stand any direct sun, others saying arabica won't grow without at least some direct sun.

I have store-bought arabicas growing in bright shade and in places where they get full sun at least a couple of hours a day... However geography has to be taken into account because I live in Southern California near the ocean. The temperatures are very mild -- never freezes and seldom goes higher than 85F.

I know cold can be a big danger. When I lived in Texas I had a 3-year-old plant that I really loved. I kept it indoors in winter, but one year I put it out too early in the spring. The cold killed it, but I don't think it got much lower than 40F.

From what I understand, coffee needs a lot of micronutrients, and any deficiency will show up in browning or yellowing of the leaves.

As far as latitude goes, I've been told that people can grow coffee outside in the ground in San Francisco Bay area. It prefers to have a lot of humidity, or so I've read.

• houstonpat
    14 years ago

While in Kona a couple years ago I picked up some coffee cherries. They took a long time to germinate but are growing well. I have 3or 4 in a 10 gallon pot, under high shade, with broken morning sun. As you might expect the humidity is normally always high. I agree with the micronutrients. The plants themselves are about 30" high and with luck may produce blossoms next spring. This winter I'll put the pot in my cheapo greenhouse Dec - Feb.
    As you may know the Kona growng area averages 75 - 80F during the day, 65 - 70F at night. Light showers in the afternoon most days, west facing, steep slope, volcanic soil.

• fluffybonbon
    14 years ago

Hi all can you explain the micronutrients for coffee plant ?
    Where can I purchase the micronutrients ?
    Please give some tips to find them.
    Thanks,

• ltecato
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The link below explains micronutrients.

As for sources, some commercial fertilizers like Miracle Gro include micronutrients. I think fish emulsion and other organics are good sources as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant nutrition site

• orchidguyftl
    14 years ago

I grow my arabica in full sun, keep moist.
    Most coffeas grow best this way, for production, one of the main reasons for deforestation of the rainforests. Plants of the same that I have seen in shade are a nice deep green leaf color but produce very few flowers and cherries.
    I dont know about anyone else growing them, but I have yet to be able to make coffee from them. I always eat all the cherries before I have a chance to dry them. They are so good, juicy and sweet, not lots of pulp/meat, but whats there is really good

• ltecato
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Orchid Guy: I once worked for a woman in Downey CA who had a full-grown coffee tree in her gigantic garden. I ate a few of the berries, and it seemed to me that the juice perked me up like a couple sips of coffee.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!