Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_zn8

Question about Jackfruit

susan_ZN8
18 years ago

I got two jackfruit from the Asian market yesterday..when i cup open one...it wasn't fully riped as expected...Does any one know how to ripen a jackfruit. Thank-you for your help, Susan

Comments (20)

• night_breed
    18 years ago

Hi Susan

I'm assuming you bought the fruit for seeds?
    If it hasn't ripened enough the seeds may not have developed enough and you won't be able to grow them.
    To a certain point the fruit needs to mature on the tree.

Cheers, Troy

• Lee
    18 years ago

try to keep in brown bag for a few days in cool spot.. not to refrigerate.

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Jackfruits will for the most part not ripen off the tree. Sometimes they are picked too immature and therefore you get a bad fruit. It also seems to not ripen evenly too and you get parts that are immature. I usually buy the ones that are sliced already since I'm not good at picking out a jackfruit. Some stores will sell small immature jackfruits because those are used for cooking. 2 jackfruits? That's alot! how big were they?

• susan_ZN8
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank-you everyone for your input...
    Hi Eggo, Each fruit was around 32-33lbs ...I thought for that size it would be mature fruit...I will take your advice and pick them already cut next time.I was fortunate enough to get my money back from the store manager for one of the Jackfruit..The other one, i didn't know what to do with it except to take out the seeds and boil them..(one expensive bowl of seeds-$65).........thanks, susan

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Yikes 2 30lb fruits!! I hope you werenÂt planning to eat it all yourself. hehe
    Lots of time its picked a little immature for shipping purposes. It sucks! Not much quality control when it comes to certain tropical fruits.
    The sliced ones are always much more expensive but at least you know what your getting.

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Is anyone here growing Jackfruit trees? I have 2, and am very pleased with their beauty. They were about 18" tall when I bought them this spring and already one is over 6' tall and the other 5' tall.

The info about these trees on the web is outdated. There are LOTS of fruiting Jackfruit trees in Florida. So far, they seem easy to grow. I'll protect mine this year from cold since they are still babies.

Anyone have pictures of trees in their yard to share? I'll get pictures of trees covered with fruit next time I visit the nursery in Lake Worth.

Lisa

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Hi, I got about 12 jackfruit trees, have been only 7 months in the ground and most of them are doing bad; I went to California for about two months (at home right now), and I was very happy because in México right now is the rainy season, indeed, the dams are full, ironically, the place where I have these jackfruit (6 ft, just a long stick) trees hasn´t got any drop of all that rain, and you can figure it out how are doing afer 2 months with any kind of water and 115°F and low humidity. =/ . Curiosly the smallest one (black gold) has very nice leaves, small though. I am very sad. Even the dragon fruits are doing horribly.

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Patusho25, I'm so sorry that your trees are not doing well... I learned that young Jackfruit trees like lots of water (but no standing water) and lots of fertilizer. I fertilize mine every month, just as the fruit tree nursery recommended. My trees have lots of side branches. Are yours seedlings?

Can you water them regularly now that you are home? I suspect they will recover with extra care..

My Dragon Fruit plants did nothing over the winter, but as soon as warm weather came, they started growing like crazy!! I've been cutting then back and making more plants. They root easily. The 4 pines I planted mine on are all dead (from storm damage) and will have to be removed. So will the Dragon Fruits that are attached to them.:(
    But I think they will do fine even when moved. They like it here..

Lisa

• baci
    18 years ago

Next time you might wait until your jakfruit is in full season. The immature seeds may still sprout. The lowest I have seen it is .99/lb, or about $14.00 for a full fruit.
    The dragon fruit seems to stunt in very hot weather. I had one in full sun this summer & it quit growing. I had another in shade & it bolted quite a bit.

• otcay
    18 years ago

I'm told by my mother that the jackfruit's state of ripeness is identified by its scent, kind of like the pineapple. The fruit should be as round as possible as any narrowing/constriction indicates nonedible fibrous parts. Only the plump parts are with thick edible pulp.
    The fruit should be left to ripen fully before a wedge is nailed into the stalk to drain it of the sticky sap. Only when the sap stop oozing should it be cut open to avoid all the mess.

• susan_ZN8
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your help..i've learned so much about jack-fruit from this post..

• hlily
    18 years ago

I agree with OTcay about how to check for ripening. I grew up eating and cutting a lot of them in India. We also looked at the spikes - if they are spread apart it is a mature fruit and if they are too close together the fruit was picked too early. We picked a mature fruit and kept it in diffuse sunlight to ripen for a few days. When there is a jackfruit that is ripe you can tell as soon as you walk ito the room. When cutting we rub vegetable oil on our hands to keep our hands from getting sticky.

• Eggo
    18 years ago

I had jackfruit and grapes the other day.

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Fruiting jackfruits:

Mature tree loaded with fruit
    {{gwi:1316125}}

{{gwi:1316126}}

{{gwi:1316127}}

Some little jackfruits (3 little trays for $2 dls, with no seeds)
    {{gwi:1316128}}

The pulp is free when you are in orchard (my aunt never stopped eating in the half hr we were in there)
    {{gwi:1316129}}

26 lb yellow pulp jackfruit ($5 dls at the orchard)
    {{gwi:1316130}}

• Eggo
    18 years ago

GREAT pictures!! They look so happy!
    I know I would be too sitting around with a goldmine of jackfruits!!!

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Yes, it was really nice being down there. The beaches, all the tropical fruit you want, the world´s biggest mangrove, "manantiales", lots of cocrodiles, etc. Hope next spring go back down there, it´s only a 6 hr drive trip.

• wendylyl
    15 years ago

Does anyone encountered problem like jackfruit with its pulp rusting or the pulp itself is immature while the jackfruit seems to have matured already?

• amazondude69
    14 years ago

Hi, I am looking for someone who can supply me with fresh blackgold jackfruit seeds or other variety, so that I can buy them! if someone can supply with the seeds please dont hesitate to e-mail me! stevenmadz@hotmail.com

• usahawan_nangka_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have aproblem about my jackfruit. The pulp have rust problem...

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackfruit Azmi

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Patusho 25, I could not view the pictures it says photbucket took them off! What part of Mexico you go to see or get this Jackfruit? Egos picture of the jackfruit and grapes looks very nice, Do you have seeds from the jackfruit to trade? sase postage? Thanks Marcie