Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdobreva

Newly bought Pachira

cdobreva
15 years ago

I just bought my Pachira and to be honest, it seems this is the first time ever I'm going to grow a plant. The feeling is thrilling, indeed.

What makes me wonder a lot is the issue with the watering, the spraying and the soil. I went in a garden market today and an assistant put the Pachira in a not-so-large ceramic pot with ( i suppose ) good drenage and dark ( almost black ) soil. I do not know what this soil consists of but the woman told me not to change it for some time and to not add anything to it.

The second thing : the Pachira will grow in a mostly-shaded place in my living room, absolutely no direct sunlight and i could say it's more dark than bright there. The woman in the market told me the Pachira did not like much water and indeed, when she sold it to me, the soil looked quite dry. It's autumn here and the temp. outside does not exceed 15-16 degrees during the day and 10-12 at night. Should I water my Pachira every 15 days as the woman told me? Should I spray it and how regularly am I to do it? Should I cut off the obviously tired and a little yellowish leaves? Thank you so much in advance and please excuse my bad English - i come from a small country in Europe-Bulgaria.

Comments (3)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've never grown this plant but copied this info off the computer:

Care

Pachira does not have special requirements and it is a hardy plant that will adapt well to different conditions. Take care of your pachira like any other indoor houseplant.

Growing pachiras is very easy. Although its natural habitat is sunny wetlands, it will quickly adapt to less light and less water. You donÂt have to water very often, but donÂt let the soil go totally dry.

Pachira needs plenty of light, however avoid direct sunlight during the hot months of the year because its leaves may get sunburned. Increase humidity by spraying the plant with water once a week or place the pot on top of a wet pebble tray.

ItÂs soil should be light and should contain some sand to ensure adequate drainage. Do not let the pot sit on water and always empty excess water from the pot tray.

You can trim its leaves if they get too big for your taste or even if you want to control or change the shape of the plant. New leaves will appear in only a few days time. Even leaves who turn yellow and fall off will be quickly replaced by new beautiful leaves.

You could propagate pachiras from cuttings/side shoots. Often you will notice new shoots coming out of the trunks. Carefully remove these shoots and transplant it. It will take some time but if you are lucky it will root and you will be blessed with another pachira plant.

I hope this is helpful. Your English is quite good, better then some people I've spoken with whose native language is English! lol
    Karyn

• cdobreva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn, thanks a lot for the quick reply :) I copied the info you gave me onto my computer.
    What I did today was this : I moved the Pachira just beside the window and put aside the curtains. I knew it was not going to be sunny today, not at all, so I thought it would be good if the plant receives some natural light. When I came home I moved it back and sprayed it, trying not to wetten the stem. Upper layer of the soil was relatively moist.
    I read today some random post about how good it is not to water the Pachira directly, but to put water only in the pot's plate. Will it feel more comfortable?

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I think it's better to water most plants from the bottom. Just set the pot in a fairly deep saucer and let it drink up all the water that it can in a couple hours. Make sure that you don't leave it sitting in water except when you are actually watering the plant. I'd wait until the top inch or two of soil has dried out before watering again. You are better off watering too little instead of too much. Too much water and the roots will suffocate and rot. I don't know if that plant likes high humidity or not. I don't remember what the info said but most plants don't care for the dry heat inside a house so an occasional misting with a water bottle is a good thing. Indirect or filtered sunlight is best. Another thing you want to keep an eye out for are spider mites, mealy bugs and scale. Thay all like dry conditions and can be a problem. I usually have an infestation at some point when I put my plants in the greenhouse for the winter. They are rarely a problem when the plants are outside. You can increase the humidity around the plant by setting it on a pebble tray. Use a shallow saucer whose diameter is several inches bigger then the pot and fill it with pea gravel or some sort of small pebbles. Put an inch or so of water in the saucer, just make sure it's below the level of the pebbles and set your pot in the saucer.
    Karyn