Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdgarden

Wax jambu fruits

sdgarden
17 years ago

I harvested the first fruits of wax jambu last week. The tree was planted 2 years ago from a 5-gallon pot and it is 10 feet tall now. It must like the alkaline clay soil of San Diego. It flowered last and did not produce any fruits until this year. The variety is call "black pearl" and is dark red in color. The fruits are crunchy, juicy and very refreshing and mildly sweet. Hopefully, there will be more fruits next year since it only had 7 in total. I have a picture in the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: subtropical garden

Comments (11)

• fruitlover
    17 years ago

congratulation on your success with wax jambu. Mine are so unfornate dying slowly ( from the top down or produce tiny leave and fall off) eventhough I take care of them well. I live in Torrey Hills where the soil is mostly sandy soil. I mixed them with a lot of top soil but seems no success. Any advises are greatly appreciated.

• sdgarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fruitlover:

You are actually quite close to me. I live in Del Mar Mesa. Anyway, I am not sure if I can give you good advice. I have planted wax jambu right next to a star fruit plant. The wax jambu just grows and grows while the star fruit never grows well and withered from the top. The star fruit tree is only 2-feet tall now, although it has sprouted from lower stem and it may recover yet. I heard that was jambu tolerates salt pretty well, so you might want to add more fertilizer. The other potenital problem is drainage. My wax jambu is irrigated every day during summer but the location is well drained.

• sdgarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I finally find a way to post the photo directly. Here it is.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Great picture! I guess I can rule out what I had is a "Black Pearl" now. Mine definitely does not get that deep red coloring. Looks great! How was the taste?

• sdgarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eggo:

The fruits tasted succulent and sweet with unique flavors of wax jambu. They were very juicy and refreshing. The color was actully much darker red than the picture might indicate. The flash light probably made the fruits more pink than red. Anyway, the color continues to deepen and the darker the color is the sweet the fruit becomes.

• newtoucan
    12 years ago

So you have wax jambu in San Diego and it grows well. I'm going to try it then. Does anyone have any plants to sell or know where to get it around San Diego? I'm looking for a sweet wax jambu. I heard Black Pearl is the one to get.

• Shamo
    11 years ago

Wow, this thread is more than 6 years old!

I was wondering if there was still anyone in Southern California who has Wax Jambu or knows where I can get my hands on them. I'd like to plant some outside in my backyard.

I'm in love them so PLEASE HELP ME SATISFY MY CRAVINGS.

• newgen
    11 years ago

There are several nurseries in Orange County that sell the plants. If you're asking about fruits, I don't think they're in season yet.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Any more info on growing wax jambu? Will tie grow well in a pot?

• gardenfreak
    9 years ago

Looking to purchase some cuttings from a sweet wax jambu.
    Let me know if you have any.
    Thanks.

• steiconi
    9 years ago

You might also check under their myriad alternate names; I'd never heard of wax jambu, but recognized it as mountain apple. They grow well here, but mine are too small to fruit yet.

Syzygium samarangense is the botanical name

Here is a link that might be useful: Syzygium samarangense