Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Bringing in Tropicals for the z.5 winter

arbo_retum
9 years ago

I grow a small number of tropicals but any labor saving techniques for overwintering them- are a joy. For instance, I USED TO dig up my cannas, cut and dry them out etc etc and layer them in peat moss. But THEN...came Warren Leach, the genius plantsman at Tranquil Lake Nursery who does all kinds of brilliant free workshops. Warren taught me to leave the cannas in their pots, cut them back, and throw them in the dark cellar (does not have to be cool; our tiny one is ~ 60 degrees)til spring WOW! that sure saved me a boatload of trouble! I do the same w/ colocasia and alocasia. With cannas that have been in the ground, i dig them up, cut back and toss into a milk crate or paper bags, for the winter duration, until soil gets to 60 degrees outside the next year.

Can I leave tuberous begonias planted in their pots like my cannas? (this is my first year with them ) or must I remove them from the soil? The info from Brent and Becky's says I can leave them in their pots, but I wanted to ask youall. ( This labor saving intention of mine def did NOT work w/ my dahlia tubers last year. big mistake.) Thanks much!
mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: cotton-arbo retum website; free; open daily

Comments (2)