Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Harvest!!

Posted by boca_joe 6b/7a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 19:42

wow- I just picked and ate my 1st pineapple. It's a variety I got on EBAY a few years ago, called KONA Sugarloaf.

It sent up a flower stalk late this winter in gh.

The fruit was incredible, it was the sweetest pineapple I have /ever/ tasted- and the unique thing abut this one is that /the core is edible/, as good as the flesh of the pineapple-no fiber.

I already twisted off the top and potted it up, and I have at least one pup on the fruiting plant. I am tossing all of the other edible pineapples I have started over the past few years. This is it!

now can you get more tropical than that???

Boca Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Harvest!!

Congratulations!
However, I have a question. After reading that all I had to do was stick the top of a pineapple in dirt and I would get a plant, I tried it and it worked! How do I know when my pineapple is ripe? It is a golden color now. If you have any tips you would like to pass on, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks, Brandy

o

Hi Brandy,

Usually when it turns slightly golden and smells like a pineapple -it is ripe! It will also twist off easily.

I always pot mine up in orchid bark in relatively small pots (6-8" ) with lots of drainage holes. They seem to do fine inside in winter in bright light and moderate water. Out in summer in full sun to part shade. Fert with MIRACLE GRO or similar several times from MAy till August.

Boca Joe

o

Thank you, Joe. It must be ripe then! I will give it a try when I get home, hope it is sweet. (I guess it is not true what I was told, that it takes a pineapple several years to ripen?)
I didn't fertilize it much, just some fish emulsion a couple times over the summer. Maybe it would have been a larger pineapple if I had fertilized according to the directions.
I doubt I will plant any more, I have limited space for plants that have to be brought in in the winter.
thanks again for the info. Brandy

o

Wow! What a sweet pineapple! The best! I never had a homegrown pineapple before. So, are pineapples like tomatoes, is the plant finished now? Will it die? I stuck the top of the pineapple in dirt- wouldn't want to be w/o a pineapple plant. Thanks, Brandy

o

Well hopefully you dont pick your tomatoes and kill the plant, they can keep producing for years.
Hopefully your pineapple will send up a few pups, new plants, from the bottom as the existing one dies back.
Mine usually produce 3 or 4 pups per plant, though I have mine planted in the ground.
Glad you like the sugar loaf Boca Joe, i have a few of those too, found them at the local Farmers Market down here they are fantastic.
John

o

Thank you orchidguy. Great to know that my pineapple plant may produce some "pups". As for my tomato plants, the cold will kill them off next month (though they are likely to be killed sooner if they don't start producing again!). Then I will plant rye- soil here is all sand and it needs all the help it can get to produce anything. Brandy

o

I just bought a pineapple it has that rock in the pot should i remove that ?.

o

not sure what you mean unless it was treated like a bonsai for some strange reason.

I always grow mine in orchid bark in a well drained pot.

Do you have a photo-

Boca Joe

o

Here it is

Photobucket

o

if it were me, I would remove all the rock- is it glued down?

The pineapple looks ripe anyhow

Boca Joe

o

For more than 20 years I have grown pineapples indoors in northern NM. I started with one plant a friend from Hawaii shipped to me. It has usually taken 4 to 5 years for a plant to flower, 9 or 10 months to ripen. I leave mine inside all year. The high altitude sun doesn't seem to do them much good. I have usually been able to save the mature plant after harvest by re-potting immediately. Larger pots make larger plants and fruit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here