Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfreeman_sunset20

Dragon Fruit

bfreeman_sunset20
18 years ago

Does anyone know if Dragon Fruit(Hylocereus Undatus) or Pitaya always needs to be pollinated to set fruit? It seems that some varieties do and some are self pollinated. I dont even know if mine is red or white let alone what named variety it is. I planted it recently outdoors. Should it be in shade? I have heard shade and sun... I live on the So. California coast. It stays mild in winter and summer. Thanks for sharing your advice.

Comments (78)

• wyin2tropicals
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, I am currently growing outdoors five varietes of heliconias I purchased from Worldwide Tropicals. I wanted to expand to include some more exotic varieties on-line but wanted to check here first before I invest. Which varieties have you grown successfully outdoors in SoCal Zone 10a? Also any on-line sites you would recommend buying from? Thanks for your time and help.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I found the dragon fruit very easy from seeds, but it is really hard for me to tell the difference from the dragon fruit cacti and epis. I think the epis are flat and the dragon fruits remimnd me more of milk tree shaped trunk. If I am wrong, somebody please help, because, I have a bunch of these and I can't tell them apart. LOL
    thanks, Linda

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Novice, your plant is definately budding. Congrats. Is this the first time its flowered?

Linda, my Dragon fruit, Hylocereus, is young, the tallest leaf is 7".. Leaves change as they mature. The smallest leaves, about 4", grow in thick, then flatten out as they age, they look identical to Epi.
    That's the problem with common names, though I am guilty of using common names more than botanical, too, but ID'ing plants is confusing.
    Which cactus do you have named Dragon Fruit? LOL, you have me wondering. There's a Dragon Tree, which is actually Dracaena marginata, w/long, thin, sword-like foliage. Another Dragon tree, Dracaena Draco, w/thicker, succulent leaves. See how confusing it gets? LOL. Toni

• novicefruiter
    15 years ago

over the last few days i noticed a change in the supposed bud.it has since doubled in size and is about 1/2", now i'm thinking it is just another leaf but at least i have definate growth and didn't have to wait months

• kaktuskris
    15 years ago

Would love to try growing Dragon Fruit from a cutting. Would anyone have one or two to spare? Of course I would pay for postage.

Thanks.

Christopher

• zilfana
    15 years ago

I am just about to begin growing dragon fruit, but no matter how hard i have looked there are still a few questions I have still not answered. The first and most important is if I can grow dragon fruit in central Louisiana. If not, how hard is it to grow them in a pot indoors. I have heard this produces less fruit, but if it is the only way I will have to. The next thing i can't find out is how do you know if it is self pollinated, and if not how to you make or get a variant that is self pollinating. I am also in the dark as of how to get or make the various variants that Pine Island Nursery produces, i would really like the Psychical Graffiti variant.

thanks

• darrelltx
    15 years ago

I checked all of the white X red hybrids (pinks) at Pine Island Nursery, and they all appeared to be self fruitful. Halley's Comet looks like a very nice pink Dragon Fruit Cultivar. Keep in mind the only Hylocereus I own are a couple of grafted cacti from Lowe's Garden Center. I cut off the Moon Cactus grafts and left the Hylocereus. The cuts are beginning to callous over, and hopefully new stems will emerge soon.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Christopher, I recently bought my Dragon Fruit so don't have extra cuttings, but www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com sells them for either 4.99 or 5.99..They come in 4" pots, 5 leaves, about 4-6" tall. Toni

• greenxoxo
    15 years ago

In case it wasn't mentioned, you can slice and dry Pitaya/dragon fruit. It becomes a tad sweeter and has an interesting texture with seeds. Also a bit of a burnt after flavor. Our local Trader Joe's sells packs of dried Pitaya.

Check out Ed's site:
    http://www.edvaldivia.com/

Pictures of drying method:
    http://www.edvaldivia.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=372

Wiki link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitaya

I have 4 Pitaya vines in pots. Originally I read they prefer partial sun and can crack in direct sun. One of the 3 has some cracking but they have all been moved into full (coastal) sun, very wet soil(plain dirt) and thriving!

Pitaya is a nocturnal bloomer, it's natural pollinators are bats and moths so hand pollination is a good idea.

Very easy to propagate. Clip between segments let the cut end dry for a day and stick in dirt.

• steiconi
    15 years ago

What a great thread! My neighbor just offered me cuttings of his dragon fruit; he has 10 named varieties. He grows in full sun; we're in Hawaii, about 900 ft elevation, 3 miles or so from the ocean.
    Lee

• connie-hugh
    15 years ago

I bought a df cutting off ebay about 2 months ago how do I know if it is taken root.

• tropichris
    15 years ago

Near savannah,Georga(spelling?) they have a place with tons of live bananas and dragon fruit.

• connie-hugh
    15 years ago

my df now has roots yeppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..lol

• danial1
    15 years ago

dragon fruit is easiest to grow maturity and able to bear fruit from cuttings.

I planted a dragon fruit tree from cutting and with in 7-10 months it bears fruit.

Fertilizing the tree enable them to bear many fruits. Mine is purple flesh and taste sweet.

Also I do nothing to polllinate them, just put adequate organic fertilizer every 4 weeks around the base.

normally the white flesh is less sweet than the purple flesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape and natures

• ennyls
    14 years ago

About two years ago (maybe more) I bought two mature and fruiting dragon fruit plants. I live near the coast of southern California and I didn't know how to care for them, or how they'd react to my area, so I put one in full sun and one in partial sun.
    The plant in full sun has grown up a trellis to a height of about 9 feet+ and the one in partial sun has grown up a pygmy palm to just under 4 feet.
    Both seem perfectly happy and healthy except for the fact that since I brought them home they have not produced any flowers (and consequently no fruit) at all.
    How do I help them to flower?

• philip_ajang
    14 years ago

I have no idea on how to grow Dragon Fruit but a few months ago i bougth a few stems(leaves)of dragon fruit and plant it in a polybags and beginning of this month the leave(s)start to emerge from the stem.I don`t no what to do next.Please help me to prepare for the material,fertilizer and the correct prosedure to plant this plant.Thank You.

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

I don't know if my 2 cents will help but...from my understanding, the D.F. has to be equal to 10 lbs in weight beofe it flowers. Mine was about that range when it flowered but here in Pa, of course it didnt flower until mid fall so it never got to fruit. From what i have been told, this D.F. might be a rare one, the cactus is just like Patya the flower is bright red...which is what makes it rare but I cant believe that I have that kind, so I'm thinking its a Pahyata even tho the stems on cactus do not look to be that...I just don't know.
    Also Miracle Grow Tomato plant food is very good for D.F.
    I now have a couple large cuttings (aprox. 6-8") that were given to me of White Vietnamese which is self pollanating and would like to find someone that has American Beauty, Cosmic Charlie, Physical Graffiti or Purple Haze that would want to trade? I just planted the cuttings the other day to root it, if anyone is interested, I dont know if you would want to wait until root growth is there since it has traveled through the mail and is still recouperating but am also willing to trade some of the other D.F. (with the red flower)

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

Also want to mention that right now I really do not want to do postage for this...maybe later on tho. Sorry.

• amberroses
    14 years ago

Don't spend too much money on this plant. They are super easy to propogate. Back when I was renting an apartment, my neighbor had a huge one and one of the segments fell off the main plant onto the sidewalk. I "liberated" it. I grew it in a pot for a couple of years in next to my window. Then when I got my own place I planted it outside. It grew up my tree about 15 feet. It fruited once, but I couldn't reach the fruit.

Find a neighbor with one and ask them for a cutting. Much like the Plumeria, you just stick a piece in the ground and it grows roots.

• euqruob
    13 years ago

I bought 2 plants last month after trying to grow from seed, red white and pink, only pink grew and not too well. I now have 3 red plants in pots in full sun, but shaded by hibiscus. I live in Phoenix, so I am going to do all I can to keep these plants happy Jun-Aug when 110 is normal high.

After one month, one plant has put out 2 new lobes that have each grown 1 foot each, and 2 others that are about 5 inches long, the growth is amazing, just put two new 6 ft stakes in to support. One of the other plants was much smaller, but it has grown 3 new lobes, the last one was a new purchase, but I think its a bit different as the number of spines on it is about 4X the other ones. I replanted them all in Home Depot Cactus and Palm grow mix (which is pretty popular here)

Looking forward to a crop in a year or so, I think that growing between the hibiscus will be a good thing, as they provide plenty of shade in the summer and are bare in the winter.

• kalebsmom
    13 years ago

I live in Pennsylvania and was interested in planting df as a mother son project. He tried one in school last year and has been at me to find a cutting to start his own. Can anyone spare one or suggest where I can find one in an area where you're lucky if you can find the fruit lol. Please help. Thank you.

• leahciM007
    12 years ago

I have a couple of cuttings from a physical graffiti dragon fruit (from pine island nursery). Anyone want some ? All I'm asking is a trade or you pay for shipping.

• ILikeExotics
    12 years ago

Hi leahciM007,
    Can I take you up on your offer?
    you can email me @ steveshold at gmail dot com if you still have some cuttings available.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

• carl9140
    12 years ago

hi leahciMoo7 I would be interested in some of those cuttings if you have any left you can email me at carlscheuer@gmail.com thanks carl

• dirtycoconuts
    11 years ago

Coming to the thread very late. Anyone have an opinion abou the best and tastiest variety for south Florida? Any of those clippings still available?

• LittleVietGarden
    11 years ago

Hi to all the people who is asking about how to grow. It easy but people out their which are farmer don't want to show you. 1st growing dragon from seed is a NO. growing from cutting which buying it from ebay seller is NO!!!! why because they will sell you cutting that so small, that take years and years and years before the plants reach to the top of the pole, then take year again before new plant start to grow, Dragon fruit to fruit when the plant start to over hang.
    HOw to grow:
    make a pole at about 1.2 to 1.5 meter from the ground and make a square on top of the pole
    1st have a cutting from 500m to 1meter or over, the longer the better.
    2/ place the flat side of the plants against the pole and tried it, the flat side is where the root will grow
    3/ once you've done that top up with garden soil & cow compost.then water it. water it every day but don't over water it as the plant it self is like water from the inside. they love the sun. In winter should water it only 2 or 3 times a week in the morning. only water it in the center where the pole is. should see some growth in it after 1 month or 2
    once small plants start to grow, look and see how many small one start to grow.e..g if there's 3 growing cut away the 2 smallest one. keep doing it until they start to grow as over hang, once it start to over hanging, see if there more small one growing, cut away the smallest one leave 2 behind. buy doing this the plant will not over grow and
    when just winter is end top in cow compost. a month later you should see little bud( small round very lite in yellow colur) that's the bud of the dragon fruit. once that start any small stem start to grow just cut it. you only leave new stem after the fruit season.
    here is the photo of my 2 years old plant

• LittleVietGarden
    11 years ago

PS I am sorry if I have same post in this site, I just wanted to help people wanted to grow the plant, it easy, they don't die even if you leave then on the bench for month
    here is a photo when the plants start to bud
    the plants do need full sun even in the heat, it may turn yellow but it wont die

• LittleVietGarden
    11 years ago

PS I am sorry if I have same post in this site, I just wanted to help people wanted to grow the plant, it easy, they don't die even if you leave then on the bench for month
    here is a photo when the plants start to bud
    the plants do need full sun even in the heat, it may turn yellow but it wont die

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

LittleVietGarden , Thanks for the detailed information.. Do you hand pollinate it or it is self fertile and which variety do you have ?

• drmom21
    11 years ago

Below is a general guideline and may or may not work in your environment.
    Ideal use: Outdoor Patio & Tropical Garden. Containerized 15 - 24' diameter 10' deep pots.
    Outdoor Zone 9b - 11 Avoid frost if possible. In very cold zones a containerized Dragon Fruit Cactus can be brought inside for the winter months. Most will survive a very light frost and quickly return to normal in spring.
    Height / Length Dragon Fruit Cactus will continue to grow indefinitely if the roots can attach to moist organic matter, burlap works well. However your new Dragon Fruit Cactus may over or under perform, depending on the light, soil and humidity it is exposed to.
    Recommended Container Size Most gardeners don't realize that Dragon Fruit Cactus do very well in containers. Container size may vary depending on the growth rate of the plant. Allow enough room for growth generally a 15' to a 24' diameter, 10'+ deep container will do well with a climbing pole.
    Remember the looser the roots, the taller and healthier your plant will be. When the plant becomes root bound its growth will slow. At that point it is time for division and/or a larger pot.

Fast growing Dragons come in a variety of bright colors.
    Water Dragon Fruit Cactus must be treated like a Tropical Cactus and water when nearly dry but try to keep the climbing pole moist. An automatic dripper at the top of the post works well.
    Over watering will kill the plant. Remember the #1 cause of death to plants is over watering. Many decorative containers do not have drain holes at the bottom, so when a plant is regularly watered the roots in the bottom of the pot are subjected to an aquatic environment, with no hope for oxygen and the decay begins. Please keep this in mind when pot shopping.

Field Production Hog Wire Top In Full Bloom Ready For Picking
    Light 85-100% Full sun is best. When planting outside expect the plant to go dormant while acclimating to its new environment. Dragon Fruit Cactus enjoy light. Try not to keep your Dragon Fruit Cactus in a shady area.
    Soil Well drained, sandy cactus mix. Remember try to stay away from wet, mucky soils.
    Fertilize Fertilizer can be detrimental to Dragon Fruit Cactus and too much can kill the plant so fertilize sparingly with low-nitrogen cactus fertilizer, slow time release is best. For in ground planting, broadcast a balanced granular fertilizer once a month. Dragon Fruit Cactus are light feeders, however unfertilized they will tend to grow very slowly and virtually remain dormant. For a rich, full look, feed them every other month but don't over fertilize. If a little is good, a lot is NOT always better.

Growers Stock Burlap Wrapped Tape Until Rooted Water Well
    When you receive your new Dragon Fruit Cactus Open your box carefully and water if dry. Please take your time when opening. Most foliage damage occurs when the box is ripped open in the excitement of receiving new plants. Many plants, especially succulents, are very fragile and leaves will snap off easily if not handled cautiously. Remember if segments break off let them callus for a week and pot them in dry soil. Rooting only takes a week or so to start a new plant.
    Our growers are shipping live plants intended for generations of enjoyment. If your plant become damaged, with broken or yellow leaves, do not worry this situation is only temporary, with proper care your new plant will bounce right back in a week or two.

White Dragon Yellow Dragon Giant Red NEW Blue
    Planting Information - Remove the plant carefully from its pot by laying it on its side and lightly tapping the sides of the container. Gently slide the plant out of the pot. In some cases where the roots have grown through the holes of the container you may need to cut the container off of the plant.
    Use a sharp knife or garden shears to make slits down the sides of the root ball. This will encourage accelerated root growth into the new soil. Be sure not to cut too deeply into the main root system. The object is to only score or cut through the secondary or feeder roots.
    Plant in ground or in a container using well drained, sandy soil. Your Dragon Fruit Cactus should be planted flush with the soil line. Often we have found mixing a small amount of slow time release fertilizer into the lower level of the soil before planting speeds up the rate of growth. When planting in ground space plants to allow clumps to form and develop properly. If planted too tightly there will not be enough room for root expansion and plants will not reach their full height and fruiting potential.
    Dragon Fruit Cactus, known as Pitaya are easy to grow and unique in nature. Highly prized and sought after by those in the food industry for its distinct coloration, kiwi like texture and mild flavor Dragon Fruit Cactus is a fast and easy growing species rewarding the grower with an amazing end result. Properly cared after your new Dragon Fruit Cactus can begin producing fruit in as little as 1-2 years

Here is a link that might be useful: MonsterBlooms.com

• LittleVietGarden
    11 years ago

Hi longaeva54, I really don't know the name of which variety I have. but I know I have three type but don't know the name. I only know by looking at the fruit. The best one to eat is white inside with bright purple pink out side. I don't hand pollinate it.

• LittleVietGarden
    11 years ago

oh I forgot to post a photo on one of the dragon fruit I have. this variety it color skin is like purple & pink inside is white.. it a lot more sweet then other people said that the Red inside is more sweet. but this variety is a lot more sweet. this here just over 1/2kg each fruit. but i don't get a lot of it in each season there's only 4 that I can see. the other still green. I wont be able to tell untill it change it colour

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

Hi LittleVietGarden , Well done. a jumbo dragon fruit. I read that white variety are not sweet . Can you find what variety it is?

• LittleVietGarden
    11 years ago

Hi longae54. I'll try my best to find out what variety it is. I guess some people just red & other like white. AS I'm Vietnamese I find white taste more sweet. the only reason why they are not sweet is because it has been harvest too early. if it was grown at home I wait till it right time. I am creating a video clip to show which to choose if you going to buy it from a store

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Very beautiful, LittleVietGarden! Great job. :)

• Lynn-az
    10 years ago

I like to grow Dragon Fruit. I live in Phoenix. Where can I learn how to grow and purchase some cuttings? Thanks.

• avery09
    10 years ago

Would love to trade for some cuttings for my new apartment

• DeviGardener
    10 years ago

Hey LittleVietGarden my pitaya is growing great but I have some growth on my cactus which is small and thin. Do I cut it off? I noticed on the pic all your cactus growth is thick and of an equal size, mine is mixed with both equal sized and thin woody stem growth.

• DeviGardener
    10 years ago

Hey LittleVietGarden my pitaya is growing great but I have some growth on my cactus which is small and thin. Do I cut it off? I noticed on the pic all your cactus growth is thick and of an equal size, mine is mixed with both equal sized and thin woody stem growth.

• LittleVietGarden
    10 years ago

Hi DeviGardener. I think it may be just over growing, you can cut off the thin & small one, it like if you have 4 or 5 growth coming out from 1 plant, just cut it and leave 1 or 2 behind, you'll fine if you leave 1 it will keep growing, some of the one there is about 2 meters, From the first time that I plant in the ground, if there's 4 new growth I just cut it and only leave 1 then this will grow to full lenght, it start to have more new growth, I just cut it leave 2 behind, I just keep doing it till it overhang. See the problem is that people just let it grow then it over growing .I wish you good luck at growing the Dragon fruit. here is the link to making the pole and frame for

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube

• anita
    10 years ago

I have a Pitaya grown from a tiny piece of stem. It has taken about a year for one stem to grow to about a foot. It is less than one inch wide. I have it under lights, with bottom heat, in cactus mix. How can I get it to produce more stems? Or do I just have to wait?

• Abledragon
    10 years ago

Hello, Im new to dragon fruit planting. Recently my friend gave me a vine to plant. That was 3 weeks ago. However, I notice the vine turning yellow and thin, like there's no more pulp in the plant. I live here in Lakeside, Ca (San diego County). It gets hot outside esp. in the afternoon around 80-85. I put it under direct sunlight just what my friend told me to do so. Do you think I sunburned my plant? I need help.

• LittleVietGarden
    10 years ago

To: Abledragon
    if it get really hot during the day, you nêed to give it water in the early morning. Dragon fruit love the sun, but they do nêed water, but don't water it during the day if it on a hot hot day, then you will sunburn the baby

• Nguy
    10 years ago

Hi Abledragon,

If the cutting is thin and yellow, you should not put it under direct sunlight of 85 F. It will turn more yellow. It is better with the partial sun. The cutting has not much root after 3 weeks, so it is not good to put it under direct sun.
    Thanks

• charlindabob
    9 years ago

I have cuttings from one source on eBay of Red & White DF, both H.u. and of Yellow S.m. from one eBay source and cuttings from a Yellow H.u. from another eBay source.

Also, I have red & white H.u. seeds plus yellow S.m. seeds from an Asian source.

And, I have orange DF seeds from Hawaii which are S.m.

Problem is no one seems to know what they have except it is either red or white flesh or yellow skinned (S.m.) with white flesh or orange skin (S.m.) with red flesh.

So, no fancy names. But with such diversity and cross pollination are there any "true" heirloom specie left? And I have no idea whether the are self or hand pollinated DF. Probably no way to tell huh? Even after they fruit, if they ever do?

I am definitely a newbie with DF and am wondering if I should plant two or more of the same kind in a pot or mix specie? I hate to mix specie in one pot (ie red & white) as I won't know which is which until I open the fruit and I want to know well before that. If you have a red and a white in close proximity and they cross pollinate, will you possibly end up with pink fruit? How do you keep the red ones red and the white ones white if you raise both varieties near each other? And what about mixing the H.u. with the S.m.? Will they cross pollinate and if so, what is the outcome?

Sorry for all the questions, but surely I am not the only one new that has these questions.....

Bob, in central Florida

• markvujcich
    9 years ago

I have been growing all types of Dragon Fruit for the last 2 years from seeds and cuttings that I have got from all over Indonesia.I am growing in large concrete pots and have a got local soil which the plants just seem to go crazy in and some have climed right up to the roof on my 2 story home.

I am getting big healthy flowers but as the flowers die and the fruit starts to form they go a yellowy orange colour and fall off before I get any fruit.

This is happening with all varieties of Dragon Fruit and there seems to be a lot of bees around the flowers and I have tried self pollination also.

Can anyone let me know what could be the problem?

• adobowizzzy
    8 years ago

Looks like the flower didn't get pollinated. Though it may be self pollinating, best to pollinate yourself with different Dragon fruit variety

• steiconi
    8 years ago

This great website shows different dragonfruit varieties and whether they're self-fertile. Use the side arrows to click through the pictures with info, or click the UP arrow to see pics of all of them on one page, then click on the variety to get info.

dragonfruit

• eclipse22000
    7 years ago

My Dragon fruit seedlings that I started from the seeds of a fruit that I purchased!

• tralala
    7 years ago

Eclipse 22000, by the look of your dragonfruit plants, it will takes years before you get any fruits. Email me your address and I'll send you some good cutting. my email is quimao63@yahoo.com