Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popper1

Some of my favorites--blooms

popper1
16 years ago

Thought I would attempt to post some pics. Here are some blooms from the last few months

Oxera pulchella vine.

Thunbergia mysorensis vine

Syzyium malaccense, malay apple

Brownea macrophylla, flower head starting to open

A fully open flower head

David

Comments (18)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Those are all beautiful.
    Karyn

• countrynest
    16 years ago

David, everyone of those pictures are so gorgeous .
    Very rare Thunbergia. Mine are

I'm in central Florida. Where were these photos taken?
    Felix

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They were taken in my backyard, I am in central FL also.

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Beautiful plants and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Ginny

• countrynest
    16 years ago

David,
    Thanks for sharing. I have put all this plants on my wish list.I would appreciate if you could tell me how cold sensitive they are and if they like sun or shade.
    Of course I plan to do my own research.
    Wow
    Felix

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are all cold sensitive, none take frost very well. All like sun, the Brownea likes bright shade/partial sun.

David

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Thanks David, I appreciate your help.
    Felix

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Stunning plants/pictures, I wish the climate in the UK was just that little bit warmer and more reliable to allow us over here to grow such beauties. Thanks for sharing.
    Gill.

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, as I said they are some of my favorites, particularly the two trees. The Brownea is one of the 'hankerchief' trees; a large group of leaves comes out of a bud, very soft and limp. They are pinkish/burgundy and over several days deepen to green and stiffen up, amazing to watch and beautiful. My Amherstia nobilis, which is in the same group, is getting ready to have a flush of growth, I will take pictures of the process & post.

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

David, those are outstanding! Thank you for showing them to us, I think I'm going to be planting more vines in my yard if they look like yours. Did you get them locally or did you need to mail order them?

Suzanne

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got them from a variety of places. The vines I purchased at shows, the trees from private growers. Most are pretty hard, if not impossible to find at times. I have seen the Syzyium for sale at some tropical fruit nurseries online.

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Wow, I'm in Florida too, SW and I've never seen those plants. They are beautiful

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yea, I go for the rare stuff. Especially like the tropical vines & flowering/fruiting trees.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Gorgeous flowers!!!
    Brownea macrophylla reminds me of Blood Lily.

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that Brownea is similar to the blood lily, denser and, obviously, on a tree.

• musarojo
    16 years ago

Very nice flowers! IÂm getting homesick for Florida!

• bahia
    16 years ago

I don't see photos of Oxera pulchellum in gardens too often. This does equally well here in California, where it is also somewhat rare, but does well for me in the San Francisco Bay Area's mildest locations. My vine has taken down to 28f without major damage, and typically blooms in late summer to late fall. It seems to do better here than Thunbergia mysorensis, which I also have, but is shyer to bloom, and more cold sensitive in winter.

• popper1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Oxera is pretty rare here too, a fall and winter bloomer. The Thunbergia is also rare. I have noticed that the mysorensis needs to be very large to become a reliable bloomer.