Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navymom_2009

Heliconia Issues

navymom_2009
14 years ago

I have a HELICONIA ROSTRATA that I am struggling with. It is planted in a large pot located in a shaded area that faces east. It was growing well until this Spring time then all of the problems started. The first symptom was that the stalk of the plant was very weak and could not support the leaves. The leaves were green with no disfigurements. In June, the new leave growth was coming in wrinkled and shortly developed brown spots on them. The nursery thought it may have been a problem with chemicals and suggested that I water the plant more than normal so that the chemicals could be flushed out. After several weeks of this treatment the new growth no longer had wrinkle. What remained was the the mature plants developing brown spots (like burn spots). I returned to the nursery - this time I was told that it was because the plant was receiving too much sun. I moved the plant further back so that it not now receiving more filtered light. After 2 weeks, I checked the plant - while it is getting new growth, the older growth is still getting the brown spots and curling at the ends. I am beginning to think that it is a deficiency of some sort and need to treat. So I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

Comments (3)