Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I waited 3 years for this wow

Posted by gardencraze 9 central FL (cmcginnis3@cfl.rr.com) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 20:44

This plumeria is from a seed pod from my garden I only had 2 plumies a pink and a yellow. Could this posibly be??
I I so exited. can I name this one because it was my seed?
The pink had the seed pod.
I love love this plumie.
Carmen

plumeria grown from seed

href="http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss131/gardencraze/?action=viewt=septpix037.jpg" target="_blank">plumeria griown from seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I waited 3 years for this wow

Congrats! It's a beautiful rainbow variety. You could call it anything you wanted but as for registering a new variety I have no idea what you would have to go through. You could get info on the plumeria forum. How many years did it take to reach blooming size?

o

From the time I planted the seed to blooming it was a little ovaer 3 years. I spoke to some people and they said it wood take a long time and allot of money to have it registered. I'll probly just give it a name and see what it does in the next few years.

Thanx for the compliments
Carmen

o

Hi Carmen,

A very nice plant. If you want to name it you need to contact The Plumeria Society of America http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/. as they handle the naming of new plants.

Regards

o

Thank you John for that info, I give a hooler to them and see what it will take to name it.

Carmen

o

I'm sure there is info on their site about how to register. The question is, 'Is it unique enough to warrant registering?'. I don't know the answer to that.

But it is beautiful. They won't let you register until it has done probably three bloom cycles though. Colors can change.

Good luck. It's a keeper. I'd love to see it bloom with a whole cluster of flowers like that.

o

The first thing that you need to name a new variety/hybrid is the exact names of the species/hybrids of the parent plants. Without this info, you need not even start.
But if you do have the parents names, you can contact the Royal Horticultural Society, they are responsible for the registration for all named plant hybrids and then you wont have to go through any other groups or associations, Its easier that way AND cheaper. You need a photo of the prospect and the potential new name. The RHS will then look through its data base to see if the 2 parents have ever been crossed. IF they have not been, than you will have your picked name as the new hybrid name and nobody else will ever be able to name that cross. IF it has been named, than they will send you a letter stating that, but if your coloration varies from the original hybridizers coloration, than you may chose a variety or clonal name.
That's how I've named my hybrids
Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here