Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mangrove seedlings

Posted by pomme8916 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 22:51

Hello everyone! I have some mangrove seedlings. Three of them to be exact. I started them in a small bucket and they are growing in sand and some salt water and they are doing fine. I was curious if anybody knew how I would transplant these into a larger pot maybe? They are indoors but I fear winter may kill them to I'd rather not take any chances. What I'm asking is if their is any way to move them into a larger home. Oh, and if anyone wants to see a picture, I'll sew what I can do. Three separate pots maybe best. If no one knows, any organization to contact? If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mangrove seedlings

Hi, can you please post some pictures? It would help to see what species they are and how big they are! You might be able to prune them, but I think it depends how strong the plant is.

o

Here are the pictures. My apologies for the late reply, my camera seemed to have grown legs! I want to put them in larger pots.

Here are the pictures:

I'll be glad to answer about any more details.

hortoholic

o

Be careful if you have them standing in salt water, as it evaporates the salt concentrates and will kill them.

o

They don't have to be in salt water. Mine are in just regular water and doing fine in the greenhouse at 50 degrees. You could transplant them now, but I'd probably wait until spring. For one thing, they will take up less space :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here