Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_harbeck

fragrant oleanders

Adam Harbeck
14 years ago

Hello Forum,

I am wanting to establish a Spanish/Latin style garden and am looking for fragrant Oleanders. I have asked the local nursery to order me in a Mrs. Roeding which is apparently the most fragrant type. Is this true? What other types are fragrant? I have seen Madoni Grandiflorum, Sunshine and Splendens Double Pink. Are these scented? I have read that splendens double pink smaells of sweet talcum.

Thanks,

Adam

Comments (12)

• brical1
    14 years ago

Hi Adam,
    I grow oleanders and have found that generally the doubles are the most fragrant. Splendens is excellent for fragrance and is very free flowering as is the old double white grandiflorum( which btw makes a really nice standard). I have just procured another double 'Vanilla Cream'( a rich cream/pale yellow colour) and it too is fragrant. Mrs Roeding is a beautiful oleander but I have found it not to be as free flowering as the others mentioned.
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Brical,

People seem to really, really hate Oleanders in spite of everything they have going for them. I bought 2 splendens, 2 Mrs Roeding and 3 "sunshine" to plant as windbreaks/hedges. All are in bud so I will see just how fragrant they are in eth near future. I will have to keep an eye out for Vanilla cream.
    Is madoni grandiflorum (double white) fragrant? What does the scent resemble?
    Thanks,
    Adam

• brical1
    14 years ago

Yes Adam. the old Double white is strongly fragrant...I have a huge one in my garden and could smell the scent from it metres away this afternoon..It is in full bloom and will stay that way now for months...If you take care of them they will reward you greatly...they will still put on a show even if neglected but look all the better for a little care... I find if I prune them back each year in late Autumn/early Winter by about a third..they will be a mass of blooms come Sept/Oct.....I have a couple of the beautiful single pink punctatum either side of my front gate which I have pruned into standards...they are real eyecatchers..
    Mrs Roeding is not as tall a grower as Splendens or D.White.

You are lucky to have found sunshine...I have been searching for ages..
    Cheers,
    Judy

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,

I lashed out and bough 2 more sunshines yesterday (I'm too imatient to wait to take cuttings from the original). I planted them off my side fence to hopefully screen the neighbour. I am going to clip them and put tricolour frangipanis behind to make a decent visual barrier.

How would you describe the scent? sweet? Spicy?

thanks,
    Adam

• brical1
    14 years ago

I haven't had any experience with 'Sunshine'.(I don't know if you received my email) ...I tried to send a follow up post here as I forgot in the last one to answer your question regards scent but each time I tried it was rejected...but anyway.The scent of the D. white is what many describe as a strong vanilla type..I find Splendens is very similar...they are both strongly scented..

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,

I think I will have one of the smelliest gardens around, ringed in citrus trees, frangipanis, magnnolias, roses and oleanders :)

Adam

• brical1
    14 years ago

Sounds wonderful!
    Ahh... and if you like nightime fragrance ...then you should also give Brugmansias aka Angels Trumpets a go...some of the scents will knock your socks off lol!!

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Way ahead of you. I Just planted B. undulata "white caps" and B. jamaicaensis yesterday afternoon. I would love an angels trumpet but space is a bit limited now. I've also got belle of the night cactus in pots and I'm also trying a rangoon creeper but i dont know how they do this far south.

• brical1
    14 years ago

I've never heard of those Brugs...did you grow from cuttings?
    I have B.Versicolour B. aurea B.suaveolens..

Rangoon creeper is pretty tough ...if you can grow frangis where you are then you can grow a quisqualis...

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, theyre not brugmansias at all. They're brunfelsias. They are like white versions of the "yesterday, today, tomorrow" and I got them from B*%$^@!'s warehouse.

adam

• brical1
    14 years ago

Yes I know!...I reread your post after I posted my reply doh!!...I only have B. grandiflora which I love,also have seeds of some others yet to plant.

Getting back to the subject of Oleanders... forgot to mention that the single pink version,same colour as N. splendens is also very fragrant ...more so at different times of the day...None of the other singles I have are fragrant like this one ...

• User
    14 years ago

"lucky nut" yellow oleanders are great. all are standards, full of yellow blooms all summer, very cold hardy(except for last winter) and full of "lucky nuts" in the fall. no scent, but look great!