Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow rambutan from seeds?

Posted by rambutan411 florida (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 23:33

What are some tips for growing rambutan from seeds? I bought some rambutan from publix. Is there a way to tell which seeds will sprout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow rambutan from seeds?

Any way to tell? Only by planting them.
Rambutan has to be VERY fresh (I mean days rather than weeks old) and washed clean of pulp, as that inhibits germination.
Plant horizontally with the flat side down. This helps it grow straight with good root system. Germination is anything from 1-4 weeks depending on your season and temperature - remember it IS a tropical tree, so consider its natural conditions.Fresh seed can be kept a couple of weeks in moist conditions like spagnum moss , but if it has already dried out, your prospects are pretty poor, sorry.

o

I just had mine in water and keep giving them fresh water. Water in the germinating process are always icky. It will sprout within a week. So good luck.

o

I've planted fresh seeds on several occasions. About 70% germinate but it's always taken mine several weeks to sprout. I plant them in a high quality potting mix, like Fafard, keep the soil moist and set them on a seed mat to provide bottom heat if I'm starting them inside.
Karyn

o

cherrios,

Has your seeds grown into a plant yet? I've managed to sprout four of them and they're about 2 inch tall now, so I'm really looking forward to learning more about them. If you have some thing to share about your Rambutan, that will be great. Thanks.

o

I started mine on July 21. They are now finally poking through the soil.

A warm hello from Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

I'm trying to grow a rambutan tree... i'm not sure what the steps are to grow one, and what kind of soil to buy is the best. please help me!!!!! i love rambutan! eat them mostly everyday!

o

Check this website:

http://www.agribusinessweek.com/pointers-on-growing-rambutan/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here