Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felixcat_gw

no flowers gloriosa lily

felixcat
16 years ago

Hello, Yet another year has passed without flowers on my gloriosa lilies. I have just knocked them out of their pots to store the tubers for winter and there are around 50+ from the four pots. I grew them in full sun in a warm greenhouse but only got leaves and stems. Could anyone tell me how to get them into flower next time round. Many thanks

Hazel.

Comments (6)

• musarojo
    16 years ago

I wish I knew what to tell you. Mine bloom every year for me. They do not produce so many new bulbs. Could you somehow be encouraging them to form bulbs instead of flowering? How many do you put in each pot when you plant them up?

Philip

• felixcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Philip. You are very lucky to have flowers every year. Mine have only bloomed once about 5-6 years ago and nothing since. I do split them up every so often and put 3-4 tubers into a pot or 6-7 if the pot is big.I will need many more pots next time to accomodate them all. The tubers grow like mad and force through the holes in the bottom of the pot like big fingers. I had to break some off to empty them out. Do you feed yours? I don't feed mine very much. With the lack of flowers on my plumerias as well I'm a bit miffed.
    Glad of any info. Thanks.
    Hazel.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Hazel the ones that I had in pots didn't bloom but the ones I planted in the garden bloomed beautifully, though I will have to dig them up and store them soon. This was the first year that I planted the tubers in either place. Next season all will go in the garden. I have no idea if they produced any baby bulbs or not. I guess I'll find out when I dig them up. I don't remember ever feeding the ones in the garden, just a good layer of compost dug into the soil. I think we all grow the same plants. lol
    Karyn

• musarojo
    16 years ago

I plant one or two per pot and include time-release fertilizer. I give them water-soluble bloom fertilizer at the same time I give it to my plumeria. After I posted last night, I remembered at first my father had poor luck with these when I was a child living in Florida. They multiplied but didnÂt bloom until he began fertilizing them. ItÂs possible they may choose vegetative reproduction over flowering if they are not ecstatically happy with their growing conditions.

Philip

• felixcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Karyn and Philip. Thank you for the information. I was a bit lax in feeding the gloriosas as I was caught up with the plumerias. I didn't know they were tough enough to be planted into the garden Karyn as long as they're dug up for winter. I would like to try that next year but also leave a few in pots and be generous with the fertilizer as Philip suggests. I couldn't believe how many tubers there are so at least I'll have plenty to experiment with. Thanks again,
    Hazel.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

I've got mine in a hanging basket. They've been there for at least 2 summers and they're no sign of them buldging out or anything. They have one to four flowers per stem with each stem blooming just once a season. After they bloom and I harvest any seeds, I cut the stem off. I usually am a forgetful waterer so I water erractically at best and rarely if ever fertilize.

I don't know for sure...but I've noticed with my amaryllis bulbs that the more it rains and the more I feed them, the bigger the bulb gets. When i leave them alone and don't feed / water as much, they bloom!