Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's Your Top 5 Tropical Fruits?

Posted by Eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 04 at 3:53

Here goes mine:

1. Lychee; The most romantic fruit in the world definitely has my heart
2. Mangosteen; Think of the tastes of a perfectly balanced orange put into a velvet flesh
3. Cherimoya; a good cherimoya is hard to beat, custard flesh or firm flesh their both great to me
4. Durian; The only reason this is not listed number one is because I can only finish about half of this guy at one sitting, after all it is the king. Plus I usually like to indulge myself
5. Pommelo; The best ones are juicy, crispy, and has no bitterness

Except for the Durian, I can literally go through 15-20 lbs of these guys in few hours.
Fruits I gotta try someday is a home grown ripen pineapple and something called a charichuela.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's Your Top 5 Tropical Fruits?

The RAMBUTAN is on top of my list, only because it has the most combined favorable qualities of all (perfect sweet to sour ratio imho, attractive and cute!, and memory of the good early days).

But so many tropical fruits exist out there, each with a unique flavor and aroma that can not be taken for granted. It's sorta like a woman. Each has her own special sex appeal ;)

o

Passion fruit and golden pineapple top my list, followed by mango, lychee and jackfruit

o

Longkong (langsat), rambutan, mangosteen, durian and star apple ('milk apple' or caimito), in that order.

Marcelo

o

Coco de mer Lodoicea Maldivica
Coconut Cocos Nucifera
Betel Nut Areca Catechu
African Oil fruit - Elaeis Guieneesis
Coquito Jubaea Chilensis

I don't really like the fruit, in fact I haven't tried half of them, but I love the trees (palms) they grow on.

o

Marcelo, I agree, I love longkong (no idea what it is in English tho. Also, it isn't the same as Langsat, langsat is less sweet and has more seeds)

Mangosteen,
Longkong
bananas (bananas here taste nothing like the bananas in the US, they are sweet and flavorful)
Rambutan
Lamyai (again no idea what it is called in English)

o

In no particular order of preference:

Mango
Lychee
Bananas
Starfruit
Tangerines

o

Mangosteen is OK but is not in my top list. Out of 10 mangosteens, just a few can be enjoyed; the rest they have some kind of disease: hard flesh, or rotted flesh with some yellow fluid.

Here's my top-5 list I can't live without:

1. Rambutan, the best is the small seeded rambutan

2. Pigeon-eye longan ( I don't know how you call it)

3. Green star apple. I can eat 10 of them at once but my pocket will be burned.

4. Big white-flesh pommelo, its top is bell-shaped and it has to be sweet, not too juicy or dry. I'm growing one. Hopefully, it's the variety I am carving for.

5. Giant yellow papaya. The flesh should be firm and sweet from one end to the other.

I love tropical fruits. Could I add one more?

6. Firm few-seeded sugar apple.

o

• Posted by Eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 4:39

wow great selections. you'll have no disagreement from me there GardenAlive. =)
coco de mer looks crazy, a coconut on steroids...!
lamyai...? should be longans..?
bananas in Thailand, mostly Namwah I think?
I see milk/star apple on this list a few times..sadly enough I have never tasted a fresh one..now on my to eat list.
Betty I have a pommelo variety that is bell-shaped, drop me a line if you ever need some grafting material.

can add as much as you want.
Keep em' coming folks.

o

Eggo,

What is your pommelo variety called? How does it taste? Any seeds in it? Please post some pictures.

I only know how to root cuttings (Is this called air-layering?). How do you graft trees? Is the principle the same?

o

Sat, Oct 16, 04 at 5:33

Betty, i have no idea what it is. I had received cuttings which I grafted onto my citrus but he doesn't remember the name of the variety though. But it was bought at a nursery so it should be a commercially available type.
Airlayering is rooting the branch while it is still attach to the tree. grafting is when you take another variety of fruits...say citrus and attach it to a compatible variety...something like one citrus tree that has grapefruits, oranges, pommelos, and limes. I hope I'm making some sense, I think I'm a bit drunk........

o

Top 5 Tropical/subtropical fruits are, in no order:

1. lychee
2. longan
3. rambutan
4. annonas (atemoya, sugar apple, cherimoya)
5. miracle fruit (most just eat for effect, but I eat them like candy!!!)

I would like to say mangosteen, but have only been able to get canned so I can't add it fairly. For all the trouble I go through to grow them, if, no, when I get fruit even if tastes like doody I will say it is great.

Alan

o

• Posted by Cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 16, 04 at 22:49

Here`s my five:

CHERIMOYA (Fresh off of one of my backyard trees. Dr. White is my favorite cultivar.)
MANGO (Fresh and fiber-less in Hawaii)
LYCHEE (The best I`ve had were picked only a few hours earlier and delivered to the fruit stands in Taiwan. We ate pounds and pounds of them all season long.)
MANGOSTEEN (The best I`ve had were bought from the fruit sellers at the rail stations in central Burma.)
DURIAN (Fresh from the fruit market in Georgetown, Malaysia.)

Honorable mention: Jakfruit also in Georgetown and Salak in Bali.

o

Longan, Guava, Jujube, Mango and I do have great luck growing Barbados Cherry.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

We have many different kinds of bananas here, my personal favorite are the finger bananas.

Mangosteens here are sweet and delicious with just a hint of citrus. Some are diseased or damaged but I'd say that it only hit about 20%, I don't think they travel well.

o

• Posted by meixue 10 CA, Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 12:41

Durian
Mangosteen
cherimoya
Lychee
Jacdkfruit

I like almost all the same fruits as many of you. I could eat these fruits all day in place of meals. But then I'd stink (From the durain) and have sugar shock all the time.
Meixue

o

(1) Passionfruit (2) Loquats (3) Honey Mandarins (4) coconut (5) Lychee

o

There's nothing better to me than to sit in the shade with a spoon and a fresh picked papaya... mmmmm....

After that I'll have to have pineapple, cherimoya, and an apple pear.

Okay, now I'm drooling.

o

I just had my first cherimoya! So I'm taking bananas off my list and putting it on. YUM! I bought it for the seeds, and I'll be planting every single one of them very soon.

o

Thu, Oct 21, 04 at 3:18

bruggirl, aren't they delicious. I've been eating them for the last month from my trees, so yummy that I wish I had planted more.

o

Fri, Oct 22, 04 at 17:22

Eggo, you are so lucky! You have a cherimoya tree, and it actually fruits! I know you are in Southern Ca but do you know if a cherimoya tree would fruit in the bay area? I hear mixed things about if they will or not. If they do I'd like to purchase one in a year or two. Have to get a bigger house with bigger garden first *lol*
Meixue

o

Being born in Pennsylvania I was just recently introduced to tropical fruits when I moved to tropical Florida.

1. Mango
2. Banana
3. Carambola (Star-Fruit)
4. Pineapple
5. Litchi

o

Sat, Oct 23, 04 at 5:00

Kameha, welcome to the tropical fruit world. hehe

Meixue, I have three producing cherimoya trees(you must hate me right now). =)
Cherimoyas are a high elevation tropical plant sometimes called subtropicals. I think they would do fine in your area if their protected from frost for the first few years until it gets established. The only thing about cherimoyas is that they must be hand polinated, this goes for many of the anonas, even the sugar apple here in SoCal won't fruit sufficiently if it's not hand pollinated. I almost got so frustrated that I was about to chopped them down until I found out about this. A cheap way to get started off with cherimoyas are simply by planting some seedlings, I have never tasted a bad cherimoya seedling fruit, some are better than others but unlike many other plants they always produce good fruits. The thing about them is that they will grow fairly ok in pots(growth will really slow down once the roots run out of space though) for years and years but will still take off once it gets planted out. I had several seedlings that were in pots for 4 to 5 years, when it was given away and planted out, most eventually flowered within a year or two.

check out the link below, it is a link to the CRFG in your area, you might consider joing them, very helpful group of tropical fruit growers. click on "Idell's List of Fruits for the Bay Area" it has some information on fruits that have been experimented with in your area including the cherimoya.

Here is a link that might be useful: crfg golden gate chapter

o

Bruggirl & Eggo,

Are cherimoya that delicious? I remember having them some few years ago when I had always had sugar apples. They tasted like craps even though they were good looking (very big and good to put on the altar). But I might try them again this year to see if I still hate them as a substitute for sugar apples, which I haven't had for a long time. But I'm afraid that my first impression was right.

o

Well thank you Eggo! Although I am in an area not completely safe from frosts every few years I have one advantage...cherimoyas and annonas are pollinated naturally here...we have several tropical insects in florida that you don't have in California...in fact one annona is native to my very region of florida...it's the pond apple...an evergreen swamp tree that once grew in massive forests north of okeechobee. Thanks for the link but I'm already in a tropical fruit club in my area. Thanks for all the nice info and hospitality though!

o

Eggo, yes they are! Sad news is that they won't grow here. I'm looking for an atemoya, close relative, that likes our hot humid weather better.

o

This is my top five fruits:
1. Durian
2. Dragon fruit
3. Mango
4. Rambutan
5. Jackfruit

orville

o

HOW ABOUT LANZONES? THAT'S THE BEST TROPICAL FRUITS. WE DRIVE TO VANCOUVER ,CANADA JUST TO GO EAT THIS.. MY...MY.. THEY ARE BETTER THAN THAN LONGAN OR LYTCHEES...IT IT ALMOST LIKE RAMBUTAN BUT MORE MEATTY..THEY SELL THAT A LOT IN CANADA,BUT NOT IN HERE IN THE STATES

o

Betty,

Your page has no email address. I know a Chinese nursery here east of Los Angeles that sells all the fruit trees on your list for very little. You could purchase your own Star Fruit tree for the cost of a few fruit at a gourmet grocery.

Get in touch. I just bought 20 trees there and can give you directions.

o

• Posted by alexg z5b ONT (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 25, 04 at 23:37

From my past years working in East Timor and Cambodia:
1. soursop
2. lychee, longan and rambutan
3. dragonfruit
4. huge papaya off of the tree in my garden
5. tiny sweet little bananas, just picked

o

Tue, Oct 26, 04 at 12:50

Bettydo, I had a gross cherimoya too from safeway about 4 months ago. It was so aweful I couldnt believe it. I think it really depends on the quality of the supplier. Or maybe that one was wayyy too ripe? I dont know but it was nothing like the cherimoya's I remember from Thailand. Usually they are sweet, juicy, and to me taste like pineapples and bananas mixed (granted I dont like pineapples at all, this is a very special flavor combination). Hope you get a chance to try a good one someday.

Eggo, thanks so much for the link and the encouragement with the cherimoya. Next time I buy one I will try to grow from seeds and maybe graft onto the seedlings. That would work right? The rare fruit growers society sounds great. I'm going to look into becoming a member especially if they hold seed swapping events. I'd love to start learning how to graft and air layer. I think I may have the chance to learn from this guy I met on GW who graciously gave me some michelia and champaca plants! Where did you learn to do all this grafting and air layering??
Thanks
Meixue

o

Someone mentioned that cherimoya doesn't grow in Florida. It does grow, just not many people have been able to get good fruit, although there are a couple that have, from what I hear. Also, atemoya is unreliable from seed, so says most sources. If you grow them this way try more than one. You might come up with something new!!!

Alan

o

Chasmathe,

I don't have any problem finding a star fruit tree here. Just that there's one tree at a temple. When I want to see its fruits, I just go there to see them. Here's a photo I took just last Sunday.

It's a relatively small tree but has many fruits on it. And a man there was so gracious that he gave me one fruit to taste. I dipped it into some salt. It tasted very good, not too sour. You bought 20 trees? If that was 20 longan trees, I would invest, but one carambola is good enough. And you've not mistaken with Star Apples?

o

Wow what a beautiful tree Bettydo. I never knew carambolas could fruit that well in southern california.

o

Thu, Oct 28, 04 at 5:16

Kameha, actually the link was for Meixue but your more than welcome to use it, hehe. I think the Florida humidity also helps out with your anonas too. I haven't seen too many sweetsops here but it seems to need hand pollination too. Met a lady who had about 10 cherimoya trees grown from seedlings, they give her fruits even without hand pollination but she said it took a long time, trees are over 25 feet high, I think it createed a good micro-climate for it to produce fruits by themselves. I try to keep mine under 15 foot. She said she had 2 15foot sweetsops but chopped them down because it only produce a few fruits each year...I was really sad to hear that.
Betty, yes they are good..well I love em anyways. There are some in the markets right now.. going for about $5 a lb. don't buy them they are usually pretty horrible this time of the year, picked way too early. Best ones come after February. For some people, cherimoyas should not be allowed to ripen too much, it becomes very custardly. Once it gives slightly like an avocado, it can already be eaten gives a much firmer flesh. I like em both ways. This is very much the case with those large "white" variety.

Lanzones! I haven't seen much response from people in the tropics about this. I've known most folks there seems to rank this very high on there list though. I had some variety, langsat? longkong? or whatever variety it is. I don't think I had a good batch though. It reminded very much of a pommello, imagine taking those small citrus kernel and enlarge it 100x bigger, well that's what it tasted like to me.

Meixue, grafting is quite easy once you get the hang of it. I actually learned it from following simple websites instructions for them. I had lots of failures but have found out the easiest plant to practice grafting on is a citrus or stonefruit. Doesn't seem to matter how bad the you make the graft, everything grows. It is much more of an artform, everyone has there own variation to grafting. You will find that it is much easier to pick it up though with some one physically showing you. I put a link below that shows briefly the concept of grafting. Airlayers are easy too but you must know the plants, some just won't root.
Tell me more about these Thai cherimoyas! It sure sounds like one, combination of pineapples and bananas. There are some information out that says Thailand ships out a lot of cherimoyas but not much information is out there..it would seem a bit difficult to grow them there. I had bought a seedling plant 2 years ago from a Thai lady. She said it was a Thai cherimoya and are like the ones in the grocery stores but it tastes better and don't have that smell (wasn't quite sure what she meant by that though). She said she snuck the seeds in from Thailand. I presume she was talking about a sweetsop, they look the same when its small. Shortly afterwards though I realized it wasn't a sweetsop, I thought it might be some kind of Atemoya though..but still it does not show any kind of characteristics of an atemoya. Leaves looks like a 100% cherimoya. It got me a bit puzzled, can you grow cherimoyas in Thailand? I'm still thinking about that.

Betty that is a nice picture. hmmm...what temple...? hehe just kidding.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafts, airlayers

o

Maybe Rollinia, foliage looks about the same, at least while small. Pretty sure they are popular in Asia.

Alan

o

Fri, Oct 29, 04 at 4:48

its definitely not a Rollinia. i should post a picture. I don't think Rollinias are very popular in Asia, mostly in South America I think.. Have you ever had a Rollinia, I hear its suppose to taste like lemon meringue, but others have describe the texture as very tiny...I have some seedlings but there still way too young.

o

• Posted by Cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 29, 04 at 19:39

Here`s a photo of a Rollinia.

o

I know that they are grown in Borneo, some places being rather common and the people there have found them to their liking, also they are popular in Thailand. They have been cultivated outside of South America for a considerable time. Perhaps another Annona has made its way to Thailand, Annona purpea, perhaps. Remember, the peanut is not Asian, it is a New World species, but a Thai dish without peanut sauce is like Superman without a cape, you know it's Superman, but something's missing.

Alan

o

Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 6:37

Alan LoL, I like your Superman analogy..
I didn't know it has become that popular already. It sounds like the Rollinia are a much more interesting than before, i definitely got to repot mine.
Cagary, I've seen that Rollinia picture before somewhere at a nursery site page i think, it seems quite unusual, most pictures don't seem to that have that same kind of protuberance, seems like a lot of genetic variability out there. arghhh...sorry about my last post it didn't make any sense..it was late at night. What I meant to say was that "texture has been described as very slimy."

What is an Annona purpea, there's so many obscure Annona fruits? couldn't find any description on this one.

o

Eggo, I'm guessing Alan was referring to A.purpurea (soncoya). Don't know anything about it personally, but here's a link to a description...

Here is a link that might be useful: Annona purpurea

o

Yah, that's it. Sorry.

Annona purpurea. I have some seedlings so I will see how they do.

Alan

o

In no particular order:
Mango
Mangosteen
Longan
Pummelo
Rambutan
All of these are good, but none of them are as good as a perfectly ripe Comice pear.

o

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! My vote goes to:
Mango (yellow flesh variety, longer flatter looking fruit), Mango (orange flesh variety eg Alfonso), Lychee, Custard Apple, Pulosan (Nephelium mutabile) which is related to the rambutan.
Does anyone know where to get Pulosan? Malaysia or Thailand maybe? Looks like a rambutan with rubbery spikes instead of hair, dark purple in colour. Much sweeter than a rambutan.

Mary Anne

o

I guess it's not well known, but my favorite fruit is the Mamey (Mammea americana). Choosing the other top 4 is to difficult, so I guess there would be a 20+ fruit tie there.

o

ooooooo thats hard probly 1.a good papaya 2.rambutan 3,lychee 4.guava5. ummm golden kiwi.now i haven't tried any annonaceaes but when i do im sure biribas, cherimoya ,sugar apples, ilamas,and kepel apples or other simalar fruit will win me over.

o

In order starting from 1st favorite

1.Feijoa
2.Kiwi Berry(Baby Kiwi)
3.Pomegranate
4.Mango
5.Lychee

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Cen Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 11, 05 at 1:46

I've yet to try a feijoa. I really want too though...they are one of the best tropical fruit trees to grow in subtropical areas.

I wouldn't really consider pomegranate a tropical fruit..more like meditteranean but it's exotic so I guess it would fall under this category. Same goes for the kiwi...I never knew they weren't technically tropical fruit.

o

fig
date
carob
tamarind
inga (ice cream bean)

o

ginger
calatheas
brugmansia
musa
Pomegranate/citrus

o

Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 18:13

sadly I never had a feijoa. But back when I was a little kid I lived in a neigborhood that had them growing in parks. We used them to throw at things and sometimes each other. Now even if I look for these fruits I can't find them.
"I never knew they weren't technically tropical fruit." Nonetheless they are very odd fruits you never see very often.
Persimmons for example they can't grow them in the humid tropics but most folks there all knows what it is, its as though it's at home.

o

Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 0:26

Eggo...feijoas are native to Brazil aren't they? To the tropical rainforests there?

Eggo persimmons grow pretty well in south florida which I would consider humid tropical climate...odd isn't it. I never even heard of a persimmon till I came down to Florida and yet they are grown more in places like illinois then here.

o

Tue, Mar 15, 05 at 2:14

I don't know if their native to Brazil, but I think your right. I grew up in Southern Ca. =) I didn't know persimmons grew that well there but you folks still do get some cool weather. I know in southeast Asia, there weren't many places they could be grown. Great fruit ain't it. I never had the American persimmons though, I hear their pretty good but small.

o

• Posted by ompus z10b, Miami, FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 19, 05 at 8:10

My understanding is that American persimmons are EXTRORDINARILY astringent until ripe... at which point they're quite good.

Anyway... my favorites tropical fruits are:

1. Mango (but certainly not Tommy Atkins)
2. Litchi (My Hak Ip is blooming for the the second consecutive season!).
3. Longan (Diamond River)
4. Banana (Mysore, Nam Wa)
5. Avocado (Mexican...though I'm happy with West Indies or Quatemalan).

o

Sat, Mar 19, 05 at 23:25

Eggo I actually don't like persimmons that much...they're too abnoxiously sweet to me. Ompus I don't know why you like California avocados more than west indian ones...I used to hate avocados with vengeance before I had a Florida avocado. Now I'm crazy for Florida/carribean ones.

o

Cherimoya/Atemoya-- I know these are botanically different but when I find them in the market, sometimes they're labeled cheri., sometimes ate., and sometimes just "Moya", so I'm not sure which one I'm eating, and I don't see any difference between them. When you get a good one (and I agree it's kind of a crap-shoot, sometimes they're cardboardy and yucky) it's kind of like home-made apple cobbler with brown sugar on top. Yum!

Abiu-- texture a bit like a gelatinous honeydew, but a really delicate flavor like flan with a hint of strawberry. Both this and the previous are sit-down-with-a-spoon eating.

Lychee-- like eating roses.

Rambutan-- definitely a cute fruit.

Jaboticaba-- we grew our tree from seed and it took about 10 years for it to start fruiting, but it's really cool-looking when it does, the fruits pop right out of the trunk. Don't eat the skin, it's coarse and bitter, but what little meat you can squeeze out tastes like grape jelly.

I won't even list banana or papaya, since those are everyday staples, but I won't turn down a good pommelo when it's offered (can't eat it all in one sitting, though.)

o

Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 0:08

Congratulations Ompus on the Hak Ip, sounds yummy, send some this way. hehe just kidding. I hope my emperor fruits this year. Great! a fellow Nam Wa enthusiasts, its all I grow!!
Kameha, what about the crispy Fuyu persimmons?
Lisa, yummy yummy great lists, too bad I never had jaboticaba before.

o

Well, I guess this questions would be to grow? I'm so envious!! Where does everyone live, the tropics? Can I answer with Mango, Papaya, Banana, Kiwi & Pomegranate---and that would be to EAT (sorry) since I can't grow them here in Dallas, at least long enough to produce fruit.

o

Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 20:54

That's a good point Lisa...okay my favorite tropical fruits excluding commonly available ones like carambola, mango, banana, and papaya...are as follows.

1. Guava: I love it's tangy pineapple like taste. Guava jelly is the finest in the world. I really want to try feijoa and cattley guava.

2. Guanabana (soursop): only member of the annona family which I have tried I am sorry to say. I love it!

3. Jaboticaba: I had some monday again and they are so heavenly!

4. Lychee: I love it's fragrant taste.

5. Loquat: I love it's tangy taste!

I really need to become more cultured in tasting tropical fruits...lol really want to try sugar apple, custard apple, pond apple (even though i heard its not great), abiu, rambutan, dragonfruit, monstera deliciosa, jackfruit, and so much more...

o

Kameha, don't bother with Pond Apple, it's only good as a rootstock for grafting other Annonas onto. And be careful with the Monstera, if you don't get it at the right stage it'll do a dieffenbachia number on your tongue. I've always been too nervous to try it, although it smells like it might be pretty good.

Upon rereading some of the other posts, I think what I'm eating must be Atemoya and not Cherimoya. If the Cheri won't grow in Florida, it probably won't grow in Hawaii either, and what I'm getting is definitely locally grown. We even had a tree for a short while, but it got some kind of borers or something and gave up. Gotta get me another one, I was going to start from seed, but it sounds as though maybe I'd better get a grafted one(fortunately we live right next to a fruit-tree nursery)!

And I am so NOT into pineapples. When we first moved here years ago, my mother-in-law would send us toothbrushes every Christmas because she'd heard that those pineapples were really acid and sure must be hard on the teeth. I guess she thought that was all we ever ate!

o

Thu, Mar 24, 05 at 2:51

Lisa that's good to know...I just was interested in eating pond apple since it is Florida's few native "true" tropical fruit (along with sea grape and cocoplum). LOL about your mother and law and the toothbrushes.

o

Well, Kameha, just because something is a Florida native doesn't mean you have to eat it... Do you also have a hankering for palmetto salad and a spanish moss sandwich? You don't see me eating Noni or Hala (pandanus) fruits, although both are edible. There may (or may not-- I'm skeptical) be some health benefits to Noni, but ho, da stink!! Like some funky B.O.!

Now Ohelo berries or Poha I can see, although I've only ever had either one in a prepared form. If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Volcano House around breakfast time, order up a big slab of portuguese sweet bread french toast (too many nationalities there) with Ohelo berry syrup on top. Mmmm, onolicious!

o

Sun, Mar 27, 05 at 5:32

LOL Lisa! I just would love to try a native florida tropical fruit though. I already love hearts of palm (from state tree swamp cabbage/sabal palm/cabbage palmetto) and I like the taste of sea grapes (like a salty grape)-I love sea grape jam! I would love to visit Hawaii but am a bit frightened of flying especially over half the Pacific ocean. If I ever do visit hawaii though I'll be sure to try that. It sounds delicious!

o

I spent time in Viet Nam, Thailand, and Sri Lanka. My favorites were:
Pineapple
Custard Apple
Small yellow flesh banannas
Durian
Jackfruit
Mango

Jackfruits can get huge, if one fell on you it would kill you. You have to beat the monkeys to them though. The secret to eating them is to coat your hands with vegetable oil before you start tearing them apart. Otherwise the sticky sap sticks to your hands and you can't get it off. After you are finished eating the yellow flesh boil the seeds and eat them like nuts.

o

I told my family I would go ahead and try growing durian seedlings in large pots. They were surprised and a little shock. If they are to fruit, they said, I would always have to wear a metal helmet whenever I walk under any one of those trees LOL. Actually, the chance of you dying from a falling durian is greater than from a falling coconut, due to its heavy size (can weight upward of 20-25 pounds a piece) and sharp, thick spines. You can only imagine what gravity can turn those fruits into (can you say flying mace head)!! I feel sorry for those unfortunate soul who happened to sleep under durian orchards at night, the time of day when the fruits usually fall.

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Sun: 26 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 24, 05 at 0:24

GA...ug that is very frightening!

Tamarind seeds are so easy to germinate! I got 100% germination rate on my seeds!

o

What! Kaneha i got 0% out of the 40 seeds i planted fresh(i scarafied and soaked them though) I wish I had better luck with seeds. I can never get Guava, cherimoya or tamarind but always lots of fejoa, tamarilo, white sapote and cape gooseberry. I love seed that will germinate super easy like white sapote! Whats your secret to germinating tamarind I love tamarinds so very much.

o

coconut, papaya, banna, mango, starfruit, kiwi

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Sun: 26 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 28, 05 at 23:45

Plummy I honestly don't know what my secret is...I soaked them about 18 hours and then planted them in plain old miracle gro potting mix. Kept them indoors and in a sunny place and less than a week both of them germinated. I also got nearly 100% germination on underripe guava seeds. You have to be patient with those. I plant them in an egg carton (with holes poked for drainage) about 3 seeds per pocket and plant them in sphagnum peat moss. Mine took well over a month to germinate and then I put them in a suny area and they are still somewhat small.

o

Cocoa
Cheremoya
Avocado
Banana
Papaya

o

coconut, pineapple, starfruit, mango, kiwi.... do I only get to pick 5? lol, I can see from the postings here that there are many more I need to try..

o

Hi Chasmanthe,
I will be in Los Angeles at the end of June. Can you give me the name and address of the Chinese nursery that you mentioned? I would like to visit and see what they have. Thank you very much.

o

Citrus (all types)
pomegranate
fig
natal plum
I think that's it, of what I grow..Toni

o

wow! ao many names I have not heard. I am currently trying to start a tropical fruit "garden". I was told to try it in pots first. I am having trouble finding seeds though. Can you give me some tips on how to get them? I am in zone8b.
lissa

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Heat:10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 05 at 2:33

Lissa you're going to have some difficulty growing tropical fruit trees in the ground up in Mississippi...however you can grow them in pots well and there are cold hardy tropical fruit to grow there. Some great cold hardy "tropical" fruit I recommend are: feijoa (pineapple guava), fig, pomegranate, kiwi, and cherry of the Rio grande. Also a problem with growing tropical fruit from seeds is that most of the time the seedlings produce inferior fruit.

There's a great nursery specifically formulated for your climate and they sell top quality and affordable tropical and temperate fruit trees. You should definitely check it out! Good luck with your tropical fruit orchard!

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits and Exotics Nursery

o

Lissa, if you'd like, email me..I order from several online nurseries...I'll give u a list..Toni

o

in no particular order:

1. rambutan (childhood favorite)
2. star apple(another childhood favorite)
3. dragon fruit (just because they are cool)
4. blood orange (also cool)
5. sugar apple (who doesn't love these?)
6. guava (large white flesh vietnamese types)
7. guava (pink flesh)
8. sapote (not from the grocery store)
9. avocado
10. pawpaw (never tried, but I was so intrigued, bought 4 trees)
11. mango, I have a dwarf carrie, supposed to be the best.
12. jaboticaba (never tried, but I have a 2 ft tree)
13. oh yes, the wax jambu, one of my favorites, how did i almost forget.
14. hawaiian strawberry papaya (the only papaya I like)
15. ice cream bean, never tried, but want one

oh...did you say five..hehe I couldn't choose. There are so many, the ones I have tasted are so distinct in flavor there is no comparison. That is why I want to try them all, so I know what I'm missing.

I'm in zone 8B, but I am crazy enough to have bought all of the above plants, and then some. I grow them next to a solid, south facing stone wall. wish me luck this winter. the ones I know will make it are: blood orange, pawpaw, pineapple guava, jaboticaba, kiwi, longan, lychee, star fruit, sapote. The others, well, I'll think of something when the time comes.

o

Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 1:25

Wow your list of tropical fruit that you grow in zone 8b impresses me greatly! How long have they survived?

o

Mine ones are:
1. jackfruit
2. litchi
3. mango
4. date
5. Guanbana (soursop)

Ive just tried a frozen durian, and it was worth it, sweet and a mocha taste. Great fruit.

o

When I had durian I hated it. Tasted like a mix of barf and rotting garlic. Was the fruit not ripe? I have heard so many great things about them, but mine was terrible. I guess its like cherimoyas when u get them eighther great or nasty. And updating for my 5 favorite fruits is
1. White sapote
2. cherimoya
3. lychee
4. mangosteen
5. guava
If my sapodilla hadden't gotten smashed and mixxed with lychhes when I bought it I bet it would be up there though.

o

the ones I said I know will make it are the ones that survived this past winter. We had temps down to 25 degrees I think, but not for long periods of time. The rest I bought just this spring and have them planted next to a south facing brick wall at my new house. I may have to build some kind of structure to protect them this winter, or hang christmas lights as others have sugguested. My parents have quite a collection as well, and some of them have survived many winters.

o

My top 5 (considering only those that I personally grow)are:

1. Lychee (Hak Ip)
2. Atemoya (Geffner)
3. Mango (Nam Doc Mi)
4. Jackfruit (NS1)
5. Avocado (Russel)

I also love Jabaticaba, Kwai Muk, Mamey, and Sapodilla

o

Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 4:15

Well congrats Jun and I hope we have a really warm winter this year with no freezes.

o

Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 16:13

Wow Jun, goodluck on them. Incredible that your growing all of those in your zone.

My list have just been edited. The cherimoya has just climbed to number one for me. It grows so easy for me and provides a bunch of fruit for me every year. And still I know I will never be sick of it!
#1. CHERIMOYA
=)

o

• Posted by Toba z10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 17:02

Malay apple
sapodilla
sugar apple
jackfruit
amberilla

o

So how do you eat jackfruit? It's so fibrous! I was served some once and although it was tasty, I chewed and chewed and chewed for several minutes and still had a big fibrous wad in my mouth that was too big to swallow. Ended up having to spit it into a napkin-- kind of an awkward social moment. Is it just me?

o

I have no problem eating the aril, it has the texture of bland plastic, but its easy to chew it. I love jackfruit.

o
durian

Is anyone growing durian? I see them for sale on ebay but I am hesitant in buying it if it's going to die.

o

• Posted by plummy 9b nor-cal (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 13:53

hey Kameha,

I boiling the seeds (some one told me to) and all of those are growing! Sence the seeds i germinated were the sour type I need to go to an Asian market and get some sweet tamarinds!

o

Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 22:47

That's great plummy! I've heard of the boiling technique as well but I'm always too scared to try it.

Let me know how everything goes.

o

• Posted by plummy 9b nor-cal (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 16:15

I was a bit woried at first but just boiled them until they jumped like jumping beens in the pot. Since it was a test batch I used 5 seeds. When I emptied them out wrapped them in a wet paper towel and set them in a big plasting strawberry container. I waited a week or two and they all sprout and now I planted them. Now I have a question for the people in the SF Bay area. Where can I get durians and jackfruit? Another question is how do I know when the durian is ripe? Thanks in advance

o

Plummy, I assume that you mean selecting a ripe durian in a shop and not picking them. Usually you don't pick durian off the tree, they just drop off the tree when ripe. I'm going to guess that you could get durian and jackfruit in Chinatown. Though probably only frozen durians shipped from Thailand.

As for choosing a ripe durian in the shop, check the smell and I've read that if shaken, you should hear the fruit inside "rattling" around.

And princesskim, I've just started my durians and jackfruits. The durians I'm a bit worried about for winter, since I don't know of any local trees producing. The jackfruit on the other hand can be found locally, like one just outside the window, and they are happily fruiting without active cultivation.

As for top 5:
mango
durian
sugar apple
jackfruit
lychee

Luckily for me, four of these five are grown locally in addition to lots of longan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog entry with photos of durian and jackfruit seedlings

o
Forgot mangosteens

Oops on my top 5 list I forgot mangosteens. ack. Another of the fruits that don't grow locally and I've had a really hard time getting them to germinate from seeds from fruit bought at the market.

o

Good luck with the durian seedlings in Hong Kong. I have always been interested in the climate of Southeastern China as it being somewhat similar to South Florida, only the winter, I heard, is slightly cooler overall but moderated due to being near water.

I have seen fruiting coconut palms in Hong Kong movies and they look to be in similar health to the ones in South Florida---not bad for a location that experiences an average high of 67F.

According to weatherbase.com, your city all time lowest temperature is 37F. This is warmer than even Miami beach of 32F. Have you ever tried growing breadfruits?

o

I don't think I've seen a breadfruit here in the wild. I've seen it listed in books listing the trees of Hong Kong.

And I'm not worried about frost or freeze damage to the plants. It is just the weeks or month or so where temps (lo-hi) drop down to 8-12C (46-54F), which might be too cold for plants native to Borneo/Indonesia/Malaysia, like the durian and mangosteen, to really thrive in.

Summer here is Southwest Monsoon with airflow from Saigon to Hong Kong. Winter here is Northeast Monsoon with airflow from the snowy north to Hong Kong.

o

Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 4:23

Daai Tou Laam, thanks for providing a detailed look at Hong Kong's weather. I've always wondered exactly how cold it got. I know winter highs are usually in the upper 60s but not cold at night. When you say moonsoon in winter...does that mean it is still rainy in winter?

o

Ask folks in Cleveland or Buffalo what happens when you get strong cold wind blowing over warmer water. But the rainfall is minimal compared to the rainy season. Especially this year's rainy season.

Thankfully it's easier to grow tropicals here than it is in Buffalo, though it's an exchange for last month being the end of my tomato season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hong Kong Observatory Description of Asian Monsoons

o

Mango (Julie Dwarf is yummy)
Guava (any kind)
Sanbokan Sweet Lemon
Jaboticaba
Barbados Cherry

Hard to pick just 5.

o

Even breadfruit can be grown indoors in temperate areas! Check out this Samoan variety thriving happily beside a plethora of leguminous plants in red paper cups (Cassia sp., Delonix, Lonchocarpus, Albizia, Bauhinia, etc..)and various cacao and cacao plant relatives below.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Marcelo

o

Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 0:21

Maspiras Jr. That is amazing you are growing breadfruit indoors! I am so impressed! Also your other tropical plant collection is awesome!

Daai I grew up in Pittsburgh so I know all about lake effect snow and rain. So its basically just a chilly showery time in winter in Hong Kong?

o

Marcelo: Great picture; seem a healthy breadfruit tree and great looking Theobroma spp. I have some Artocarpus camansi (believe) seedlings (5" tall), the tree looks like very similar to breadfruit, hope mine one is not so ultratropical since here gets 8C and sometimes very low humidity. The fruit is similar to breadfruit but with a surface like durian or jackfruit.

Isnt that pot to short for that breadfruit?

o

Kameha, winter in Jan/Feb here is "chilly" and damp with occasional drizzles.

I leave the term showery for days like today or this week. It's a little after noon here and we've gotten between 4 and 6 inches of rain so far today, while other parts of Hong Kong are between 8 and 12 inches.

And Marcelo, that looks really nice. All the delonix and bauhinia and cassia seem very familiar. (The Hong Kong flag is red with a white bauhinia flower.)

o

1. Mamey/Chico Zapote (different fruits but similar flavor)
2. Guanabana (Is this the same as Cherimoya?)
3. Mango (I grow this in my yard)
4. Papaya (I had this but got rid of it because of possums)
5. Coconut (Could not get trees to grow here)

I used to have a huge passion vine, but I got rid of that also because of possums. My all time favorite fruit is fig, but it's not tropical. I have two fig trees, which produce way more fruit than I ever imagined - a bit too much.

I'm interested in growing tamarind, however.

Lars

o

I guess these are my top 10 :)
1. Durian
2. Mangosteen
3. Salak (Salacca)
4. Passion fruit
5. Guanabana
6. Sapodilla
7. Lansium domesticum
8. Cyphomandra betacea
9. Rambutan
10. persimmon

o

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 0:51

hey didn't know you could get over a hundred posts now.

Lars, guanabana is different than cherimoya. Guanabana is Annona muricata and cherimoya is A. cherimola. I've only tasted a guanaban once and I had gotten a bad one but I love the canned juices. It should really be a great, I'm attempting to grow some guanabana plants outside in my area and should see if it will make it or not after this month.

Melati, the tree tomato? Really

o

Yup.. mix it with Marquisa/passion fruit and its yummy.

o

Here in Brazil we have a lot of choices of fruits to pick from. I only saw one person mention the jaboticaba. This is one of my favorites. If you get a grafted tree they start producing quite small. Lately I have been more and more involved with palms and their fruit. My favorites are:

Tucum - Astrocaryum Tucuma (the meat pealed from the seed makes great sandwiches when heated in french bread with melted cheese - a breakfast favorite.

Aai - Euterpe olearcae or precatoria - (makes a drink from the pulp that is widely consumed locally in the Amazon region and now sold in the States and elswhere where it is made from frozen pulp. Very good for ones health)

Bacaba - Oenocarpus bacaba (also makes a drink from the pulp, this is only consumed locally in the Amazon region. I like the taste.)

Pataua - Onecarpus bataua (also makes a drink similar to bacaba and aai. Due to the high oil content in the pulp a cooking oil with properties nearly identical to olive oil is produced.

Pupunha - Bactris gasipaes or I believe known as peach palm (the boiled fruits are eaten locally as a breakfast food. I have aquired a liking for them. The palm heart also makes great palm cabbage).

And, last but not least the Brazil Nut. The nuts fresh from the tree are nowhere like the ones you get in the States.

Of course there are all kinds of other fruits to be found around here. A lot of them in the forest where the animals are the mostly the consumers. I had a beautiful jaboticaba tree in the yard of a house I had in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. The tree was about 8 years old when I bought it in 1980 and produced all kinds of fruit. Unfortunately the people that bought the hose ripped it up as they tore down the place to make a new big, million dollar house. So is progress.

dk

o

dk, I am one of those who is wanting to grow a jaboticaba! I love the way the tree itself looks and especially the way the fruit grows on the trunk. This is a tropical fruit at the top of my wants list and I am determined to purchase one this year.

Leona

o

Leona,

See if you can find a grafted one somewhere. This saves a lot of time to get fruit. I have also seen Jaboticabas as banzai trees, they are real nice. In South Florida I knew a woman who specialized in this. I just planted one in my lot here in Manaus, Brazil. They like a lot of water and the more water the more they bear fruit.

dk

o

I finally got around to planting a tamarind seed, and it has already sprouted. I didn't realize it would be so easy, but maybe the weather has helped. It's been pretty warm here lately (in the low 80s), but today our June gloom returned (which I like). I planted the tamarind in the pot that has lettuce and dill in it, but those will die back, and so it should be okay. I really did not expect it to sprout. I did nothing for the seed, and had left it drying out on the kitchen window sill for probably a year or so.

Lars

o
Looking for Salak (Salacca) fruit in Los Angeles

HI all,

Great site here! I would LOVE to find SALAK fruit in the Los Angeles area. Also I would buy a plant if I could find one and it will grow here. I'm a bit of a beginner so any help would be appreciated. I tried this fruit in Bali several years ago and fell in love with it! It's my favorite, followed up by "water apples," another fruit I had on Bali (not sure what the real name of that one is).

Thanks for any help you can give!

o

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 1:45

hndthmnky, I don't think your be able to find any salak fruits in California. I don't think any get exported to the U.S. There are people who's attempting to try to grow the salak here but its too early to tell how well they do in Southern California.
Your water apples is probably either a wax jambu(Syzygium samarangense) or malay apple(Syzygium malaccense). You can sometimes find wax jambu from time to time at local Asian markets, mostly fruits are provided by backyard growers. Most are usually tasteless fruits but some are sligtly sweet and delicous.

o

Being from the Philippines, my top 5 tropical fruits and nuts are:

1. Mangosteen
2. Rambutan (R-5 Variety - best variety in the Philippines)
3. Langsat or Lanzones (Longkong variety)
4. Coconut (Fresh and chilled - the best!)
5. Pili nut - (I think Pili nuts are at par with Macadamia nuts)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Fruit Society of the Philippines

o

It seems to make patterns with Lychee, Durian, Mangostaan...

1. Lychee, mmm so sexy
2. Durian, so huge and tastes like cream pudding
3. Cherimoya
4. Carambola
5. Mangostaan

I would wish, that they wasnt so expensive in Denmark:/

o

Hi Hi!

If you could come to Thailand you will see people here love to grow mango. Mangos are everywhere here. Have you ever try mango in Thailand they are very sweet? One of my favorite is soft yellow mongo with stick coconut rice and we do eat law mango too very crunchy sour and sweet taste. At my garden have 5 kinds different of mango tree a lot of fruit for two seasons. And I dont grow rose apple but some other people here do. I think rose apple quite easy to get rust when they producing a flower and many bee too. Anyway I love rose apple is juicy and sweet.
We do have the best of Mangosteen, Rambutan and durian here in summer.
Good to hear that people are love our tropical fruit.

o

You have some of the greatest tasting fruit in the world. It's always a pleasure to visit Thailand.

o

Wow. I cant believe this thread is still going? Can we add or change our minds to something we posted 2 yrs ago? LOLOL :P
#6 Lychee

o

Hey Amazondk,I have tried the Jaboticabas, Im going to see if i can get me a seedling soon. I have a Grumichama, and Acai Para Dwarf, which I have planeted 100 seeds, I plan on giving a few away to friends that have farms, and or own nurseries, to introduce this fruit where I live, some of the other fruits you mentioned I have never heard of, Tucum looks interesting, from what I have read about it that a kind of butter can be produced from it, if it has that much oil, i bet it could also be used for bio fuel too.

o

Lychee (Bengal, Mauritius)
Honeybell tangelo
Jackfruit
Starfruit
Passionfruit (Many different types)
(many others too)

o

Great lists--this thread makes me drool. Which of course leads me to my next question.

My husband and I just bought our house and are working hard to turn the property to nearly complete edible landscaping. Does anyone know of a good nursery to purchase some of these plants in the Los Angeles area? I'm in Altadena.

Thanks!

o

Mangosteen, without question the queen of all fruit
Honey tangerine
Kai banana
Sapodilla (lamut in Thai)
Lychee (linchee in Thai)
We grow all these, but will have to wait a few more years before our home-grown mangosteens are yielding!

o

1:White Sapote.It gets no good publicity because it's far best picked off the tree,chilled ,then eaten. Also the fact it grows best in the high tropics or coastal California means all those who list the zone 11 fruits don't know the greatness of this z9-10 tree.
2: Mango-if you can grow it-do it!.
3: Avocado..could be no.1 if I think more about it!
4: Lemon..just so useful. Goes pretty good with Avocado-lol.
5:Orange's.Hard to beat a sweet chilled Orange.
close: Pineapple-home grown are mouth watering.
NO.122: Agave tequila..you know why,wink,wink.

o

This is an excellent thread. I ran across it looking in the archives for Hawaiian mangos. Does Eggo post here any anymore? He/she is a very knowledgeable poster from California. Well here is my top 10.....five was not enough.

1. Mangos
2. Mamey Sapote
3. Anonas( chirimoya, sugar apple, guanabana etc.)
4. Suebelle White Sapote (only)
5. Guavas (red, pink, yellow, white etc>
6. Avocado ( Mexican, Guatemalan and even the inferior West Indian)
7. Lychees
8. Mamoncillos
9. Nispero ((Manilkara zapota)
10. Caimito

o

Mango, Guava, Banana, Papaya, and Kiwi in no specific order.

o

I ate a cherimoya once and it gave me food poisoning, i vomited and had liquid poop for 4 days.

o

mango, mango, mango, tango, bango........

mangohound

o

Hello ,
Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
Ursula
culejools@yahoo.ca

o

you can tell from the name,,,
most all annonas:
1. sugar apples, atemoya, custard apple
2. Mango
4. Sapodilla (like brown sugar!)
5. Jackfruit
Ok,,, I have to name these also,,
6. Banana\
7. Avocado

o

1. Mango - not too much though if you want to avoid stomach ache.
2, Pineapple - provided they are properly ripe. Supermarket ones tend not to be. They have got to be nearly rotten to get the best taste.
3. Lychee - fully agree on that.
4. Lime, best flavorer there is.
5. Strawberry! Controversy I know but it has been grown successfully for many years in tropical regions...it's better at any rate than a lot of tropical fruit which I find overrated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here