Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All about Cordyline 'Red Sister'

Posted by toffee-el Z9 Sunset Z13 SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 5:16

Anyone growing ti-plants around Southern California low desert? I am trying to grow Red Sister around Palm Springs but not sure how.

Sun or shade? I am leaning towards shade.
Pot or ground? If pot, how big?
I read that they can grow to 15ft but couldn't find a pic online of that size. 15ft tall but how wide?
I also read that they enjoys wet feet, true?

Thanks for helping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All about Cordyline 'Red Sister'

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 13:13

I have both red and green, in the ground. The red is actually kinda dark maroon color. Palm Springs is pretty similar to my area (Bakersfield), mine are in partial shade. The green seem to like heat/sun MUCH more than the red.

o

I got the red ones, four of it. I am going to plant them in the ground under a patio canopy, so quite shady. Let's how it goes.

Are yours matured? How big do they get?

o

I got one of these early in the summer and every time the sun hits it, it burns. After putting it where it only gets the first and last hour of actual direct sun, it's stopped burning and making much more colorful leaves.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 20:21

toffee-el:

I think my green and red Ti plants are mature, but they will never reach their full genetic potential, simply because they're not in an ideal environment like Hawaii. In the photos below, you'll see that mine are much shorter (about 3'), compared to those Ti grown in Hawaii (at least 6', and some above 10').
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Well that's amazing. Those don't look burned at all, obviously not in the shade. I don't get it.

o

This is my experience--- the more tropical and red you want them to look, the more shade I had mine with 2 hours of sun and they got dull and green with very little color, then I put them in the shade and im already seeing color improvement in the leaves, it says "bright light" I recommend shade, dappled shade, or 2 hour of sun max, the leaves do get scorched

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here