Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amazon lily (eucharis) - need advice

Posted by fgilles02420 z6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 8:11

Hello-
I bought an Amazon Lily (Eucharis) this summer and left it outside in shade. Now I've brought it in for the winter and would like it to bloom.

I've read here that you need to restrict watering and force dormany. Do I restrict watering so much that the leaves fall off? How long should I withhold it? Cool temps as well? I put my clivia in the basement near a dim window for two months for their "dormancy" and ignore them - but they don't lose leaves.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amazon lily (eucharis) - need advice

Hello, just having a browse and wondered what 'Eucharis' looked like, so did a Google and came up with some info which may be of some use.....see the link below. Hope it helps somewhat.
Gill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucharis info

o
RE: Amazon lily (eucharis) - need advice

Hi
That looks like good advice. I grow them in the shadehouse under the other stuff but have no luck in the yard.. They remain evergreen as it says so reduce but don't stop water . Treating it like the Clivia should be good.
Cooler temps would be good also but avoid frost. They seem to bloom after heavy rains without regard to the seasons. at least for me. In your case when new growth started i'd increase the water and light which would probably be easiest in spring?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here