Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winning the Mealybug war!

Posted by Bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 8:32

I am almost ready to declare victory in my greenhouse over the severe mealybug infestation I had. I was trying everything. I tried Imidacloprid, Orthene, Cygon, Lady bug release, and finally turned to Neem Oil. The Orthene knocked them back, but did not eradicate them. Repeated sprays with Neem has done a lot more to get rid of them. Its harder using the Neem. It has to actually touch the bug or egg in question, so I have to spray tops and bottoms of leaves and stalks, which means getting up on a ladder to spray plants that are between 10-20+ feet tall. It takes a while to make the greenhouse circuit and be certain everyone got adequate attention. But its WORKED. I am down to spraying every 10 days from every 7, and my sooty mold is practically gone, there's no sticky honeydew, the scale was eradicated weeks ago, and all I see are isolated mealies that are in the juvenile stage. No adults. These must be ones that are hatching in "secret" places like in leaf axils that aren;t getting Neem so I will be more vigilant.

I recommend Neem over insecticides. I'm a believer now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winning the Mealybug war!

This is so strange... I usually get mealies when I have tropicals in LOW humidity situations... :o) I have heard that Neem is a great preventative...

o

Congrats! Thanks so much for this info. Now I'll know what to use in my greenhouse if this problem arises.

Leona

o

Thanks for the info! I can vouch that the mealy's don't mind the humidity because it is hot and humid down here and I've still got them! As a matter of fact, for me, they seem to really just zoom in on my tomatoes, peppers, etc I just found a pot of seedlings covered in them and the pots surrounding them (addendium rose, key limes, palms, bamboo seedlings, etc) zilch.

Bihai, I gather from what you said that this is a non-toxic rememdy...so do you know if this would be safe on plants grown for food?

o

• Posted by daxin z9 Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 17:42

If you are tired of spraying every leaf surface, Neem oil can work as a systematic insecticide, which means you just have to apply a lot of the same diluted Neem directly to the roots of infected plants. The effect might take longer than that from spraying. Neem is perfectly ok for food crop as it is biodegradable. One just need to harvest 7-10 days after application.

o

OK, now just one more question...where can I buy neem oil?

o

Just dont get the Neem on the bromo's?

o

I found this post because I too am battleling an incredible infestion. These pests are truly a nightmare to combat. Since I had never seen these things before, I initially thought it was powdery mildew that had attacked my kings mantle, a plant I have had for years.

I'm sick about this infestation as it is gradually moving through my entire garden even as I attempt to fight them off.

I hope to win against these awful pests. I too would like to know where to find neem oil.

o

How much neem oil should one use in proportion to the water to spray for mealybugs? I'd like to spray the roots--how much of the solution should I put on the plants' roots? My hollyhocks are badly infested with mealies. I wonder if garlic oil/water solution would help. Thanks. Kamala

o

Bihai, are you interested in a Neem Tree? I stupidly planted mine too close to our shed, and I must dig it out, and either move it or give it away. It is at least 12' tall, and is a lovely tree.

My boss has one in his yard in Stuart (zone 9), and it is plenty big enough to climb up, or make a fort in(G). They are rapid growers once established. The foliage is very attractive.

If you want it, let me know. Then you would have a never-ending supply of Neem(G).

Lisa
Jupiter

o

Neem works great on mealy bugs. I am always getting them on my mandevilleas. Mealys seem to love mandevillea. For potted plants I always tip the pot over on its side and it is so much easier to spray under the leaves, keep turning the pot till the whole bottom is done. Then put the pot upright and spray from the top down. Too bad you can't that with in-ground plants!

o

I have this stuff called biogrow which has neem oil in it - I mixed up with some water double strength put it in a spray bottle - one day I was being bugged (forgive the pun) by yellow jackets, which I hate with a passion - I began spraying one with 2 or 3 shots - within 5 seconds it was dead - this stuff is great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here