Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Bougainvillea

Posted by warren8 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 8:33

I inherited this variegated Bougie recently and it is planted in pure yard clay. When would be a good time to repot? Should I wash all the clay off the roots? Its been in this clay for a decade or longer. The plant itself looks fine though I was told it hasnt bloomed this year and since I got it home, it seems to be staying to wet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Bougainvillea

Most Bougs are going into dormancy if they haven't already..I'd wait until spring, and if need be, repot to 1-2 sizes larger pot w/well-draining soil. Bougs do not like wet feet, Warren. (Like most plants) Be careful watering this winter..Only do so when soil feels completely dry..Toni

o

I agree. Wait until the spring. Bougs will grow in just about any dirt ( though they flower better with some Potassium) but they do resent being moved in the winter.

o

When is the latest to safely repot (or plant in ground)? I just bought two large lovely baskets, but they are root-bound. Is it better to wait until the spring?

o

I am in Z8 and mine are still blooming, not into to dormancy yet here, they are blooming everywhere, Mine if covered do well until late Nov or early december, they are in the ground,

o

You can wait till spring if you want to. Bougies don't mine being potbound at all and I find that they will bloom better that way. Once you repot they will start putting out roots and not bloom as good the first year. Mine usually bloom the best in fall anyways.
I would pot up only a size or two to make sure they have excellent drainage.
~SJN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here