Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Plant ID?

karyn1
13 years ago

I'm hoping that someone here can ID this plant for me. I started it from seed a couple years ago. The seeds were sent to me from someone in Mexico so I'm assuming it's tropical. I've wintered it over in a greenhouse so really have no idea if it's cold hardy or not. The plant is about 3' tall, the mature foliage is about 6" from the base of the petiole. The pink stalk of flowers in the 2nd pic is from a different plant. I posted on "Name That Plant" a couple days ago but haven't had any guesses yet so I'm trying here. TIA

{{gwi:351334}}

{{gwi:351336}}

Comments (7)

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Please capture photos of blooms in true color, close up of leaves and stem with size scale. Nick stalk for sap color.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No sap. The color is true. The lower portion of the main stem is woody. The mature foliage is 6" from base of petiole so it's about 2.5" in width at the widest point. Buds still haven't opened, at this point they are about the size of a glass seed bead.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Looks similar to a Pisonia umbellifera to me...

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a possibility. I just wish the darn buds would open already. It's taking forever and now that it's cooled down it's taking even longer! lol Thanks izhar.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

You are welcome Karyn..

• trini1trini
    13 years ago

It also looks like cestrum diurnum.........

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The first time I posted pics of this plant I also thought it might be a cestrum but for some reason someone said no. I do agree that it does look like a day blooming jasmine though. I'm still waiting for the darn buds to open!