Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado Tree - stalk dying from top down...

Posted by rhonni123 Chicago, IL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 7, 06 at 10:33

I transplanted one of my Avocado trees a few months back. One of them went into shock and lost all of it's leaves. The stalk was still alive so I kept caring for it. It finally began to bud again, getting several leaves growing out of the green stalk. Then the stalk started dying from the top down. I tried to trim it but it did not stop it. I has moved down several inches. Does anyone know how to stop it from dying before it kills the last two budded leave bunches? Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado Tree - stalk dying from top down...

Did you plant them outside? If they are in the ground, they have no chance, you don't have your zone posted, but they can't stand really hard freezes, and not much below 30 if they are babies.
Okay... if they are not in the ground, I'd suspect overwatering.... and probably have root rot, which may mean they are done for.

o

I would agree with the previous assessment. Young avocados cannot tolerate anything under 30 (or over 100)... but it sounds a lot like root rot which unfortunately is common in avocados, at least here in CA.

Overwatering, or trying to grow them in clay or boggy soil, makes the plant susceptable to rot root (they need well-drained moist soil but never wet feet), which often shows up as branch dieback and general lack of vigor due to the damaged roots' inability to uptake nutrients and moisture. The symptoms are often misdiagnosed as lack of water, so most people make it worse by watering more.

I would keep cutting it back and adjust the water. Avo trees are sensitive to salts, so water deeply in well-drained soil and let dry before watering again. We usually deep water twice a week on average.

I've seen young trees come back after being cut off just a couple inches above the graft... so don't give up unless you can confirm root rot.

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 6:20

That happens to me quite often when I transplant avocadoes. For me, it is not root rot, but simply the transplanting process when I have disturbed the roots too much. Avocadoes do not like being moved around. The tree top usually dies about 4 inches down, and then stops. New growth comes out a bit to the side of the dead area, and then it starts up again. I leave it alone until the new growth has begun, and then cut off the dead area.

o

My grandson started one from a seed and the stalk turned brown and die. New growth came up from the bottom. I transplanted it into a pot and hope it will come back. I think I got enough of the roots. I am not sure time will tell. Thank you for all the info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here