Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timed

Some Things not blooming

timed
12 years ago

I grow a wide variety of non-hardy plants and have good luck with most of them. However, Pandorea jasninoides has never bloomed (full sun in summer, 5+ year plant in 7" pot, high phosphorus fertilizer. Solanum rantonnetii similar culture, only a few blooms one time. Brilliantasia owariensis bloomed first summer when small, now 4' tall 2 yrs later no blooms. Brugmansias - Cherub has never bloomed in 4 years, B. 'Apricot" blooms later each year, not yet this year - about 6' tall. Plants are overwintered in a cool (50 - 60F) basement under a high intensity light. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (2)

• diggy500
    12 years ago

ease up on the fretilizer with the jasmine..
    and with the brugs..let them sleep for a couple months..strip all the green of them and put them in a dark cool corner with just a cup of water once a month..when the day gets longer,bring the out and then put them under lights..
    cheers
    diggy

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I rarely fertilize my Pandorea vine, maybe 1x/4-6 wks, and have it in full morning sun and filtered afternoon sun. My variegated blue potato bush started blooming late this year, about 2 weeks ago. That's in full sun. It also gets infrequent feedings. These get cut back at the end of the season and go in a minimally heated greenhouse over the winter. I cut back on watering and don't feed them until spring. They don't go completely dormant, they don't really do anything. My tender tropicals are kept in a warm greenhouse. I also use HID lights for the plants that I want to keep growing but stick pretty much to the metal halide bulbs and use high pressure sodium bulbs on very few plants. My goal is to keep them healthy and am not interested in blooms over the winter. Keeping the Pandorea and solanum at 50-60 is a bit cool if you want to encourage growth but fine if you just want them to survive the winter. I have no idea what the Brilliantasia owariensis is.

Definitely let the brugs go dormant over the winter. I keep mine in an unheated garage but raise the pots off the cement floor. I'm in 7a so it's a bit warmer then you. A cool dark storage room or basement should be fine. Like Diggy said just enough water to keep the roots from drying out. Brugs are super heavy feeders. During the growing season I feed them weekly and also give micro nutrients. My brugs haven't bloomed that well the past couple years because the weather has been so screwy with the extreme hot and cold temps. Good luck.