Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hornetwife_gw

Jatropha Multifida Question

hornetwife
16 years ago

Does anyone have a Jatropha Multifida that I can ask a few questions of? Thanks...

Lori

Comments (17)

• islandpete
    16 years ago

Go ahead I have some in my garden

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Islandpete, I have several Jatropha Multifida in varying stages. My 2 larger ones have red bumps all over their trunks and I am trying to decide if it is scale or just the way the trunk looks as it matures? I tried to take a photo, but it is very hard to focus on the little bumps. I washed them down with soapy water and a rag and the bumps kinda came off but there are "pock marks" where the bumps once were. What do you make of it? I need to bring them in soon and don't want to contaminate all of my other plants if there is a problem. Any help appreciated.
    Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:107534}}

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Lori,

Have you tried posting on the "Pests and Diseases" forum?

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bo, I will try posting there too. I was just hoping to find someone here with this plant so I could compare trunk characteristics.
    Lori

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Lori, hello. Your picture looks very much like something I often see over here in our UK woodlands...'Coral Spot', a type of fungi. It often grows here but mainly on dead and decaying tissue, so I am not exactly sure if it is that. Hopefully someone else will come in, try googling Coral Spot in the meantime.
    Gill.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gill,
    Thanks so much for the info. I googled Coral Spot and some pictures it looks the same as mine and in others it doesn't. I am at a loss. I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from islandpete to see if this is just what the trunks look like as they mature. The other name of this plant is "Coral Bush" so it may make sense.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers!
    Lori

• vireyafl
    16 years ago

I have several Jatropha multifida growing and they have small tan colored 'bumps' on the trunks. They are not scale or any other insect, but appear to be the way the plant grows. Perhaps yours are more coral colored because of the cooler temperatures.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vireyafl, thank you for the input. I am still undecided if my Jatrophas are diseased or not. I have searched endlessly for some info but there isn't any. I guess it is better to err on the side of caution and I will just overwinter them in the garage this year and hope they make it.
    I included a much better photo with a closeup of the bumps. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Lori

Here is a link that might be useful:

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Lori, those bumps look decidedly less like the Coral Spot fungi to me than those in your first pic. I know Karyn has one type of Jatropha but its a different sort to yours as it was referred to as 'Buddha Belly'/ J. Podagrica.
    Gill.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gill,
    The first fuzzy pic was pre-soapy washdown. The second pic is after I kinda washed the bumps off. Those are the pock marks I was referring to. If only I can now find out if it's a disease or maturity. I am not sure if the Buddha Belly has the same characteristics as mine. I will look it up. Thanks a bunch!
    Lori

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My BB trunk if fairly smooth. The first pic looked kind of like scale but this second pic that you posted looks like it might be a normal characteristic of this variety of jatropha. It doesn't look like a disease to me. I have some plants whose trunks get funky as they age but it's normal for the particular variety. I could have sworn that my older iochromas had some sort of scale on the lower trunk and I started trying to scrape it off. I found out that it was normal before I inflicted too much damage. lol
    Karyn

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay okay, I will stop driving everyone crazy with my Jatropha thread. I am just so worried to bring them in over winter and have them contaminate over 65 houseplants with some sort of funky disease, if that is the case. Before I washed the bumps "off", they were WILD looking. The pock marks don't look so bad. Karyn, thanks for the input. I feel better. I may still have them stay in the garage just in case. Hoping for another mild winter...
    Lori

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Lori, hey, there's no need to apologise, you ain't driving ANYONE crazy, if we don't ask, we don't get answers!!!
    Did you post your queery on the 'pests and diseases' forum, I haven't checked to see? Good idea to try if not. I too would be seriously worried with 65 other house plants which could be infected if it is something nasty. That sure is a collection. Hope I didn't put the wind up you with my 'Coral Spot' suggestion? Just trying to help you solve it.
    Surely someone else will be growing them and can help you....Islandpete, where are you??
    Gill.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THANKS Gill! I have been growing these guys for a few years, but all from pups. I am learning as they grow. I'm glad you suggested Coral Spot. Many of the photos were similar (more so than Scale). Taking no chances with my houseplants. If they still look the same next summer and are thriving, then I guess I will have my answer. Same if they go belly (or leaf) up.
    And I still need to post at diseases and pest forum. Thanks!
    Lori

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

I have several of these that are several years old. I saw your post last night and went out to look at mine this morning. There are other plants all around them so I have never noticed the bottom of the trunk.

I truly think you are okay, mine seems to have the same "bumps". Not quite as pronounced but definitley the same color and pattern. From looking at it, I think it is the natural growth of the plant. If you are that worried, is there somewhere isolated you can keep it, like in a basement. If you decide to throw it out, I can send you all kinds of seeds to start a new one, they grow very fast.

Cherie

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cherie,
    Thanks so much for comparing notes with me. Someone over on the Pest & Disease forum said today they were okay too. I know what you mean about them being prolific! I started 6 new plants from some of the seeds mine made this year plus I had some other mature ones.
    Thanks again! I feel so relieved!
    Lori

• beachplant
    16 years ago

All the ones here in Galveston have trunks like that. Since they have been planted at different times, from different sources & by different people, including me, I say, NORMAL.
    Tally HO!