Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana plant questions

Posted by ctnchpr (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 12:43

I grew a banana plant in a pot on my deck this Summer, now I need overwintering advice.

Do I let the frost kill the leaves, or do I pull it out of the pot and chop off the leaves, or...?

What is the max temp at which it can be stored?

Does it need total darkness?

TIA.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana plant questions

That is an Ensete maurellii, Red ABysinnian Banana.
There isn't a clue on your page where you live exactly.
These plants are hardy to at least zone 8B (as in root hardy) but I don't know about colder zones, and I'm too lazy to Google it (you probably should). If you live colder than zone 8, you can probably pull it into the garage on frosty nights and out again in the daytime. They also make excellent houseplants for the winter under a skylight or in front of a very very bright window. I would definitely try to protect it from frost, if it were mine, because it looks to be a very very nice size, and it would be a shame to have to start over next spring.

Because these don;t make pups like other banana species, I'd be doubly careful not to let it freeze to death.

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 9:14

Go to Banana's.org for ALL of the info you need...
Good Luck
Kylie

o

There is also a banana forum on gardenweb too.

I have some bananas in pots I overwinter inside..I keep them upstairs. They look pretty bad at the end of winter, but when I put them outside they quickly recover. I have musa cavendish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here