Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Droopy Tropical Hibiscus Tree :(

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 13:57

Can anyone tell me what to do here: this tree form hibiscus was planted in the ground, live in Illinois so had to pot it up and bring inside. Been droopy from day one. Not sure what to do. Should I just leave it alone...OR prune back all the limbs in hopes that it will generate new sprouts and perform beautiful next spring.

Hibiscus Tree

Hibiscus  Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Droopy Tropical Hibiscus Tree :(

Hello there - try this link - http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

There's a section on overwintering tropical hibiscus.

But hopefully you'll get a little more info here on overwintering steps, as well.

o

Thank you Nika. I learned so much already looking at the link . If I had only known this earlier. :(

o

Looks like you've damaged the root system to the point it can't support the plant. About the only thing you can do is to prune it now and hope the rest recovers. It's very easily grown from cuttings, so you could try that with the off cuts. Just put them some rooting powder and then in sand and keep moist in a warm place. I've often done it with cuttings and get a reasonable success rate.

o

gardenlady,
When you dug it up out of the ground,did you wash the roots off real good before potting it up in POTTING soil?
You changed mediums right? You didn't put it in potting soil with the ground soil still on the roots?
It doesnt' look too good, I would cut the branches off and root them in potting soil, as has been suggested.

o

tropical hibiscus do have extensive root system so damaging the roots prior to transplanting is to be expected. though they are very easy to transplant if the weather permits, and if you can provide an artificial source of warmth.
i'm afraid that the only thing you can do is salvage the plant and make cuttings off it before it's too late.
cheer up and don't give up! :)

o

Hi! I live in illinios as well, that looks like the same one I got from Pesche awhile back!, I too brought mine inside. in the beginning it dropped a couple leaves that turned yellow, however it still looks green to me. This could be a water issue, that hibiscus looks very dry also it could be sunlight too. I would suggest taking a couple cuttings--with wood and try to get those going, also inspect the condition of the the inside of the plant, this will tell you alot if its alive or healthy. Cant wait to here from you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here