Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

Calla lily ( Zantedeschia)

ifraser25
10 years ago

How much shade will Calla Lily tolerate without affecting the flowering? Our climate is generally pretty sunny.

Comments (6)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I'm surprised that Calla will grow there, it doesn't do any good here.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Have that problem with callas . Start out well and then tend to waste away over the seasons.. Guess they require a cool/cold rest period as they are quite common to the north of me Similar reaction from Dahlias ,Agapanthus ,hardy orchids gary

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many "cooler" species ie. Dahlia, Agapanthus, Indian Azalea, and Camellia do well here. Fuchsia is on the limit. It flowers but not profusely. I think the altitude (1000m, 3000ft) is the main factor. I have never tried Callas before but they are really easy to grow from seed and I have a couple of dozen fist-sized plants, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm told they need rich, moist soil, which we do not have, but I'm preparing an area specially. No-one is answering my question however, how much shade...?

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many "cooler" species ie. Dahlia, Agapanthus, Indian Azalea, and Camellia do well here. Fuchsia is on the limit. It flowers but not profusely. I think the altitude (1000m, 3000ft) is the main factor. I have never tried Callas before but they are really easy to grow from seed and I have a couple of dozen fist-sized plants, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm told they need rich, moist soil, which we do not have, but I'm preparing an area specially. No-one is answering my question however, how much shade...?

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Not too much shade or you'll get all leaves and no flowers. Bright filtered light at worst. I'm near Brisbane, east coast Australia, they don't do well for me near the coast due to the summer heat and humidity, and being attacked by both boring insects and fungal disease. They do better at slightly higher altitude in the hinterland hills here - probably similar to you (fuschias, helebores, hosta do fine up there but fail down here). I had a friend growing them fine in Gramada - but he had quite cold winters and found it necessary to lift them - they have to be dried off perfectly before storing, and treated, to avoid disease.

• realityfaery
    10 years ago

My Callas love the sun, too much shade like I have done to my colored Callas and I get no flowers, just leaves. If you want them to flower give them sun, they love it. They can take a little shade though.