Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clodslayer

Just wondering when to re-pot my mango tree...

ClodSlayer
12 years ago

I have a young mango tree... and im not shure i actuly started it the right way... i just cut the store bought mango up, ate it and then stuck the seed in a pot of dirt... but it did grow and is looking very nice now: About 7" tall and 6 beautiful leaves on it... but i was wondering when to put the thing in a bigger pot... right now i have it in a 8and1/2" pot that is 9" tall... when do i repot it?

Comments (8)

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

I wouldn't be too concerned about it until you see roots coming out of the container bottom. You don't want to go too big too early.

• gnappi
    12 years ago

"You don't want to go too big too early."

I always wondered about this. Is it because it forces more development in the root system and less in foliage and fruit?

I experienced an odd issue with two carambola trees. I bought them in pots and they were root bound but had fruit on them. I put them in the ground and they grew like mad for more than 11 months before flowering.

Gary

• ifraser25
    12 years ago

If you just want this as a foliage plant, repot it in the summer. When it gets too big discard it. They like slightly acid, humus rich compost with a lot of minerals. If you want fruit your only chance is to plant it indoors in a frost free environment, such as a winter garden for example where the roots can penetrate the soil. It is a big tree and will not grow satisfactorily to maturity in any sized pot. Even this method will not work in very cold areas as the soil temperature underground will be too low.

• FshyPlnts
    12 years ago

Typically you should remove the seed from the large pod. This can be done by opening the pod with a spoon. That pretty awesome that yours germinated anyways though! I keep my mangoes potbound until they are about a foot tall, then I move them over to a larger pot. Like ohiojay said, wait until you start to see the roots coming our of the base of the pot. Let us know how it goes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

• ClodSlayer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alrite! Thank you! Ill wait till 1 foot, (very close now) and then repot it! Just a few more questons... I don't think my plant is getting enough sun, would a grow lite help? and also, can you prune a mango tree to keep it at a more manageable size? And if i do prune, will i still get fruit?

• mango mango
    8 years ago

you need to graft the tree to produce fruit

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

To address the issue of pot size, one way to think of all the soil-er...growing medium in the pot is as a reservoir for water. More medium=more capacity to store water. That sounds good I suppose but remember, for a potted plant, that pot is its whole universe. So, if you pot up too many sizes all at once, what you are doing is making it quite likely that you will soon be overwatering the plant. This leads to root rot and root rot leads to plant death. So don't ever go up one size at a time when potting up.

• Melissa Porter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You absolutely do NOT NEED TO GRAFT THE TREE TO PRODUCE FRUIT! That is the most uneducated thing I’ve read all morning so far. Grafting will keep it much smaller than a tree that is allowed to grow naturally. Grafting will make it push out fruit during its 3rd to 4th year of life resulting in it not growing to the possible 110 feet and yielding about half as much fruit As a naturally grown ungrafted tree. A fruit tree will start to produce on its own in 5 to 8 years average. Mango trees have make and female flowers which allow to them to produce fruits without the need for grafting. A full grown naturally grown mango tree can put out as much as 330 pounds of mangoes but a grafted tree will only put out about half of that. Mango trees grow in spurts. hope this helps. Also they need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day and you do not need to water excessively . When you stick your finger into the soil and it’s dry then it’s time to water. Your soil should remain moist and damp but not saturated.