Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suegrew

Success in shipping my MF berries

suegrew
16 years ago

Just letting all know that I was successful shipping my ripe miracle fruit berries. I was fortunate that my cooperative MF bush produced 10 ripe red berries at once and this past Monday I took them over to a shipping business and they did the packing for me. They used ice packs, bubble wrap and a small Styrofoam container. (I placed each berry individually into small ziplock bags left slightly open-purchased them at Walgreen's near the pharmacy-50/$3.00) It was shipped overnight and reached Boston about 10 hours later. My friend was thrilled and loved the amazing taste-altering effect of the berries. I paid $29 for the service and I think next time I'll just do it myself. It was Columbus Day and the Post Office was closed so it went Fed Ex, but I think regular overnight Express Mail through the Post Office is the way I'll go next time. I have a few berries that are almost red and I'm going to freeze one, wait a couple of days and see if it retains the same properties. I'll write and let everyone know how "my experiment" went.

Hope everyone is well,

Sue

Comments (6)

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Hi Sue,
    You might want to check out the miracle fruit post at the following: http://citrus.forumup.org/forum-9-citrus.html

• suegrew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ohiojay for the note and the link. I'll write that neuroscience student back and let him know of a few other forums where there's a lot of miracle fruit discussion.
    Right now I have about 10 ripe berries on my bush and maybe we'll be able to work something out as far as shipping.
    The Florida Gardening forum here is always active and everyone there is sooooooo helpful. Really worth checking out for insightful info and quick responses to any Florida-type question.
    Sue.

• archdelux
    16 years ago

Hello Sue,

Thanks for the links. I thought I would respond to you on this forum since it seems that you predominantly use this one.

I have looked into the requirements to grow the fruit, and unforntunately, this task seems well out of my time-frame. In any regard--for my study, I will only need 2 or 3 fruit since I am dealing with very small concentrations and the analysis that I will conduct will not require a very large sample size.

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to ship 2 or so fruit to me (I will, of course, cover the shipping charges) so that I can go on and conduct the study. Do you think this is possible?

In any case--thanks so much for your help. Look forward to hearing back from you. You can contact me directly, if you wish, at agulati@mail.rochester.edu

Thanks!

• suegrew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Archdelux,
    Not sure how to address you......I'll write you an email at the address you listed. I'll be happy to ship you up some berries & I appreciate that you'll cover the shipping. The berries are so fragile and refrigeration is a must.
    Glad to help you out and your studies. You'll really be amazed at their taste-altering properties!
    Sue.

• suegrew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ohiojay,
    Just an update on the message you posted awhile back.
    I was able to get in touch with Archdelux, the neuroscience student that was interested in the miracle fruit berries. Our transaction was a success-the berries arrived intact and I assume his studies on their properties are underway. Hopefully, he'll share with us all how it all worked out for him.
    Excellent timing........my MF bush has seemed to have gone dormant and is no longer producing berries. I'm glad I was able to provide him with 13 ripe berries. (I have already received his check covering shipping)
    So nice that all of us here are willing to help others in need.
    Sue.
    PS. One of my favorite sayings that I occasionally mention to my kids is..........."It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"...(so true)

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Sue, yes it was quite nice that you were able to help him out. It's always interesting to see what others are doing with our passion.