Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amsten09

umbrella tree help?

amsten09
9 years ago

A friend of a friend gave this monster to me. Any care tips? Its rather lanky anyway I can get it to thicken up with more foliage

Comments (5)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Lankiness is usually a result of low light. So give it the strongest light you can (but don't move it suddenly from shade to full sun, it needs to adjust slowly). You could always cut off that main stem (use it as a cutting to get another plant). That should give you a number of new shoots if there's plenty of good light.

• amsten09
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has had full direct light on the lady's sun porch for the past 5yrs. I just moved it inside from being outside all summer and it is in front of a very large window. If I cut it back with the old stalk produce new shoots? Where should I cut.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

The old stalk will reshoot but what I've found is that new shoots that get too shaded usually end up withering. You could cut yours just above the small branch near the bottom or even higher. Looking at the photos I still think your plant was in low light. It's a small healthy plant but the leaves are large and the petioles long.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Many discussion about this on house plant forum. I might wait until late spring to do any surgery.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Just leave it..took years to get character. Enjoy!