Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

Caesalpinia pulcherrima 'flava'

siegel2
16 years ago

My Caesalpinia pulcherrima "flava" has flowered like it usually does around late October.

I have a "red" growing right next to it, but it never flowers. Its the "tropical" Caesalpinia pulcherrima, not the one that flowers easily here in California.

Here's a photo of the "California" Caesalpinia pulcherrima that flowers every year in July and then through the summer.

{{gwi:556383}}

Anyone get the "tropical" Caesalpinia pulcherrima to bloom in CA?

Comments (7)

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

Wow I would love some seeds of your 'flava'! I can trade seeds of red orchid tree, royal poinciana, scarlett wisteria /Sesbania punicea, popcorn cassia, cassia alata. Let me know!

Thanks,

Anita

• karyn1
    16 years ago

They're beautiful, especially the red variety. I have a pink one that I started from seed earlier this year. It's only about 20" tall and is now in the GH. We'll see if I can eventually get it to bloom here.
    Karyn

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

anita - You can pick as many seeds as you like when you get here next Sunday or if you don't want to start your own, I have 2 already started in small pots.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Hello Gary/others, can you tell me which you think is the most hardy and smallest of the Caesalpinia varieties please as I am trying get one to grow over here in the UK? Read online that C. Gillesii may fit my requirements? any advice? I think they are stunning plants after seeing them in full flower in Singapore. (Delonix Regia), Royal Poincianas I think they must have been in this case. Saw packets of D. Regia seeds on holiday in Lanzarote and HAD to buy them and have a go, OK yes, I realised at the time it would be a absolute miracle if I grew one above an inch in height but I am unable to resist the temptation!!! Anyway they germinated easily and I can get them to around a foot or so before winter sets in but can't get them to hold leaves over winter, realise temps too cold here even in g/h etc. Told Caesalpinias may be better option as they are more cold hardy and can flower in pots which is what I need?? Any info appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Gill.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Gill - they grow in zones 10 and 11. If you have a glasshouse with a controlled environment you might have some success. As far as Caesalpinia pulcherrima goes, the flower color had little to do with hardiness. But if you want seeds - I have yellow and red/orange available all the time and we are growing pink that should have seeds by next summer. Send me an e-mail.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You'll want to try C. Gillesii. They are much more cold tolerant than C. pulcherrima and their flowers are spectacular.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Fawnridge and Cagary, thanks for offer of seeds/advice, much appreciated...I am determined not to give up...yet!
    Have managed to locate a UK firm that sells C. Gilliesii seeds, so an order has gone in, will be keeping those fingers well and truly crossed.
    Off to Southern Spain next week so may come back with even more packets of challenges! Am I mad or what?
    Thanks again.
    Gill.