Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minibim

Australian nursery

minibim
18 years ago

Anyone ever hear of this place before?

Equatorial Exotics

They have some pretty neat stuff and the prices aren't too bad. Too bad minimum order is $300.

Comments (11)

• bihai
    18 years ago

WOW! I want the Anthurium chamberlainianum and the Anthurium species Pink Velvet! Never seen those before! The Chamberlainianum is only $20 (that's AUstralian...but if it was $20 American that's be CHEAP for a plant like that!!!!!!
    WOW!

• ARAD
    18 years ago

Yes, I purchased plants from them, starting 3 years ago. Nice and reliable people,,nice and rare plants too. The kind of nursery for collectors and true plant lovers.

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

They do have some unusual items alright. I'd never seen Licuala mapu before-- that definitely caught my eye, but $55 for a 3" pot seems a bit much for me, even in aussie dollars ($1.00 AU currently = $.76 US).

• minibim
    Original Author
    18 years ago

On the order form, it says all orders are in US dollars, so I'm not really sure if the prices listed are Aussie or US.

Lisa, you just have expensive taste! I didn't pick out anything over $20 lol. Here's a website with the Licuala listed, that says seedlings go for $50.
    Rare palms

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

Yeah, I've got expensive taste, but unfortunately not the bank account to go with it.

Thanks for the link, that looks like a cool site. I was hoping they'd have seeds of that Licuala, I could probably start them okay, but I don't see it on their price list. Bummers.

I like anything with that kind of mottling on it. Both sites have a Pinanga (blue fruit) that has that too, maybe I'll get some seeds of that, but in the meantime, I guess I'll just have to be happy with my Werrauhia kupperiana and Vriesea ospinae v. gruberi.

• bihai
    18 years ago

I have a Licuala mapu. I bought it in So FL about 3 years ago for $35. I have a couple of other Licualas...they are my favorite palms. I also have one of those really rare palms, Pelagodoxa henryana. Its about 3 1/2 ft at present. I don't have a clue what I will do with that one once it gets large. It will probably outgrow my greenhouse, or either I will die before it actually gets large. One or the other.

• aroideana
    18 years ago

fantastic nursery , great plants at great prices
    prices are the same in each country eg. $20 for a palm here in OZ , its still $20 for you in USA ... saves hassels with converting etc .. I have bought many plants and got to know owners very well . minumum purchase is due to great trouble involved in getting plants inspected for export ..

• pilotkh4
    18 years ago

I have to agree with Aroideana. I get to Cairns about six times a year. First place I go is Equatorial Exotics. Great, healthy plants. Really rare stuff, very frustrating if you go there as they collect a lot of amazing stuff in the wild and often can't sell it until they can propagate. Even if you really, really, really want it!! I have a number of L. "mapu", they are one of my favourites and worth every cent. Incidentally, Aroideana has some pretty nice stuff too. Ever seen Alocasia infernalis?
    Later,
    BC

• Udon
    18 years ago

G'day Minibim,
    I was dealing with that mob earlier this year.
    It was the only nursery who had some Tabernaemontana holstii.
    Min order was A$100...... Call and ask for Arden... a very helpful guy.
    Let us know how you get on. :-)

• Udon
    18 years ago

Oops, I just found that you are in Florida, so I can understand the $300 min order.

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Very nice people but don't forget the phyto charge and shipping charges.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!