Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with overwintering a passiflora

Posted by decogrl 6B-7A (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 20:21

I was given one...would prefer NOT to bring it indoors as I am sure it will defoliate and look super poopy. It I plant it next to my house and mulch the heck out of it--chances of survival?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with overwintering a passiflora

That depends on the variety. Do you know what it is?

o

There are very few Passifloras that will survive z6 winters.
Why not bring it indoors? You'd be surprised how well Passionvines adapt..set in the sunniest window..a cool room won't harm do it harm...
It's advisable to cut passionvine back in February. When I had mine, (before it froze outdoors) it grew up the wall, and across the ceiling..Depending on the variety, they can bloom as early as Apr. Toni

o
Its Passion Flower 'Lavender Lady'

It does say now that it can thrive as a houseplant...but I know from experience the first thing that tropicals do in my house when brought indoors is make a huge mess with their leaves. Of course this one did nothing all summer and now it is all budded up. What about repotting? When is a good time? This one does look rootbound

o

I wouldn't repot until the spring. Use a grow light of some sort while it's inside and keep the humidity up. I'd make sure it gets about 14 hours of light per day. It will still drop foliage once you bring it in but the grow light and daily misting should help. If it holds it's buds you can always cut it back after you get to enjoy some blooms. That will make it easier to care for over the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here