Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scared my Lady Di Heliconia right out of the ground

Posted by mr_tlc 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 20:23

I was at a plant show at USF in Tampa over the weekend.... I am just getting started in my gardening and learning more and more every day. I had recently purchased a Lady Di Heliconia from a local store and planted it and was very excited as it already had flowers and looked great... fast forward back to the show. One of the vendors told me that this is one of the most invasive Heliconias you can get, spreading out of control, shooting up new plants 10' from the mother plant. I went home and dug mine up and put it in a pot. Did I overreact, or is this really as bad as he said?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scared my Lady Di Heliconia right out of the ground

Yes, the vendor is right. Muy heliconias were in an area bordered by the house on one side and a curved sidewalk on the other. When I pulled mine out they had roots 5 layers deep! I didn't know of the problem, so was very lucky they were contained.

o
RE: Scared my Lady Di Heliconia right out of the ground

Yes, get a less invasive type. I have one that has not spread more than a couple of feet in 3 years. I think it is a natural species, Heliconia rostrata, but there some smaller than this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here