Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seansmith_gw

Failure at Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) HELP!!!

seansmith
14 years ago

I recently received some guarateed fresh but dry, Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) seeds and seeds for yellow and dwarf cultivars of Delonix regia. We keep them upper section refrigerated to retain their freshness. Question: Despite utilizing several methods including scarification, planting in peat for high ph content, and using regular sterlized potting mix I have been a failure at raising even one seedling. Before I run out of the remaining seeds, does anyone with greater knowledge have any suggestions? I live in z10 Southern California and in a sunny but coastal climate. We greatly admire the Royal Poinciana trees we have seen in Hawaii and Florida.

Comments (6)

• User
    14 years ago

I haven't tried them from seed but do have luck with container specimens. How cold are you keeping these tropical seeds? With some plants, seeds are only viable for a very short period.--Don't know if this is the situation with Poinciana. Are you sure your seeds are fresh? Also, are you using bottom heat to facilitate germination?? If not, try it!--It could make a world of difference.

• siegel2
    14 years ago

I definitely would not keep them in a refrigerator!

Delonix seeds can last for months or longer, but the cold refrigerator might have killed them.

Where did you get the seeds?

The seedlings grow fast, but you might try finding plants. Where are you located? Laguna Hills Nursery has small plants (common reddish/orange color flowers) for sale and they are 30% off right now.

Here in south Orange Couty CA., I have a 6 foot grafted yellow Delonix regia in my front yard. Grafting is the only way you can be sure of getting a yellow flowering tree. Seeds from a yellow flowering tree often produce red flowering trees.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Interesting , I don't think I've ever had a seed NOT germinate but then I've only used seeds from local trees
    Though I did get a white variety from Reunion Island that produced only one seedling from 10 seeds.
    I agree with the others I think your problem is the fridge. gary

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello,
    I agree about not using refrigeration. I also will say that I have tried a few times at starting these from seed. I had a bunch of these from Florida and only two have grown, out of the two, I think only one has a good chance at really thriving. I know I have several disadvantages here, because I don't live in a tropical enviroment, but the strongest and healthiest one has survived temps in the high30's to low fourties, so I must have a healthy happy tree growing! I can't wait to see the flowers! I am not sure how long it will take though.
    Andrew

• senjanevada
    14 years ago

I bought several seeds from Ebay last Spring. The red flower. I planted in one gallon plastic pots, one seed in each pot and watered from sprinklers everyday (could be twice in hot summer. I used potting soil from garden center. Some sprouted and grew up to 1". It was my mistake to let them get full and direct sun in hot summer, some get sun burn and gone.

Up to now I only have two plants left struggle to live in one gallon plastic pots, and 2 plants on the ground. Those two on the ground look healthly eventhough I moved them twice. The one which get water from dripping system is the best, it has many small branches and green leaves. It's approx 8".

We live in High-desert, San Bernardino county, we have snow in winter. I am nervous to dig them up and move indoor before we get 50F, don't want to see them die.

• john_dr
    14 years ago

As far as I know poinciana seeds remain viable for a long time as the pods stay on the trees for a couple of years before they fall and the seeds distributed. Before planting they should be soaked in water which at boiling prior to pouring on the seeds placed in a shallow saucer or similar. The next day you should find the seeds have plumped up and ready to plant. Some people suggest filing a nick into the seed to assist germination as well. They should then be sown is a pot filled with seed raising compost and left in a warm position to germinate. Do not overwater as they may rot.

As for planting out. Poincianas need a true subtropical climate. They are marginal in Sydney NSW, Australia 33 deg S but grow like weeds in Brisbane, Qld Australia 27 deg S.
    Both climates are frost free and snow is unknown but they will struggle in Sydney which is roughly the same latitude as LA but thrive in Brisbane roughly the same latitude as Miami.

I hope this helps