Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie2022

Where to buy Dragon Fruit online

julie2022
17 years ago

Of all the fruits in the world this is just one that I found out about only this morning. I'm interested in finding where to buy the fruit online - I live where it won't grow, nor would people around here know where to buy it.

Any help?

Thanks you

Comments (15)

• lthree
    17 years ago

I am growing it and mine fruits heavily (hot pink with shocking white pulp and poppy like seeds). Have only seen the fruit in an upscale grocery store once. Unsure where to obtain the fruit online, however.

• julie2022
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's a stunning fruit - I'm very interested in tasting it.
    I'd love to grow it - but I don't that won't happen, same with my attempt to grow pomegranates.
    I some ways I'm quite jealous of California and such - the fruit growing selection is so much more exotic in such areas.
    I get bored with apples and grapes.

Do you think I could find them at an oriental food market? There has to be one in my state somewhere...I'll keep my mind on that next time I'm in the city.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Did you ask your produce man if he could order some? We have them in our local Publix...$5 a piece!

• Eggo
    17 years ago

check out the link below. Click on other fruits.

Here is a link that might be useful: dragonfruit and other goodies

• islandpete
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear your dragon is hungry. Better switch his diet to a fruit you can grow where you are

• Gardener972
    17 years ago

I just bought some fresh fruit today at Hong Kong Marketplace in Dallas.

• baci
    17 years ago

gardener972 mentioned Hong Kong market sold it. It sounds like a national chain, & there is one in Columbia, MO. If you ever commute to that city, you should call & see if they have it. If you have any friends there, you could have them pick it up & overnight it to you.

http://national.citysearch.com/profile/5884611/?brand=smx_yp-nc

You could also check online for Asian markets in Sedalia, if that is closer.

That might be cheaper than online. Now is the time to check, because now is the time it is in season.

They sell for about $4.00/lb for the common red/white flesh one here.

If you are truly interested in this fruit, you should try & grow it indoors. They are not hard to grow, & can fruit in containers. They can grow from the seeds, but it is a bit difficult to keep them alive. There are tons of seeds in a fruit, & it is supposedly 3 years from seed to fruit. I think it is longer, however.

If you decide to experiment with cuttings, you should watch the GW exchanges. If you ever decide to purchase cuttings, there is a Southern CA grower who seems to have more varieties than anyone else I have seen online. The cuttings tend to be about $25.00 apiece, however, so I would initially experiment with seeds & mutt cuttings.

• User
    13 years ago

They seem to be in season. I have the growing plant in a hanging basket but just bought the dragon fruit (along with some Durians and Longans) in a local Korean market.--Eventually will plant the seeds of this beautiful fruit. Never have tasted one so interested in what it's like.

• euqruob
    12 years ago

They sell them at Lowes and Home Depot where I live.

I got a bunch of them, every time I lose a limb, I put it in some soil and put it in the greenhouse and, I get another plant!

Haven't had any flowers yet though...

• zone10aridgardener
    12 years ago

Stokes tropicals is reliable, and has lots of varieties

• steiconi
    11 years ago

Just to clear up a couple of things:
    Dragonfruit doesn't grow on trees, but on a viny-cactusy-succulenty thing. That's a technical term.

They taste a lot like watermelon to me. And the tiny black seeds pass through your digestion unchanged--somewhat alarming!

• meixue
    10 years ago

Does anyone have a cutting that I can trade with them. I have a wonderful queen of the night and also a ric rac cactus I can trade you for.

• Andrew
    9 years ago

For folks who are in the bay area, if you are interest in dragon fruit cuttings then let me know, i have quite a few well rooted cutting from my plant i can trade, or if you want just the fresh cutting, stop by I can give you some. I'm in the San Jose area.

• meixue
    9 years ago

Hi Coolman, I would really really like some of your dragon fruit cuttings. Would it be possible for me to arrange to get some from you. You can look at my trade list/cuttings list and maybe we can trade? It seems I cannot figure out how to find people in the bay area who are open to trading. I have a lot of Epiphyllum Oxypetallum (Queen of the night) cuttings if you're intersted. Anyhow take a look at my trade list and let me know!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH