Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philippine Flower

Posted by kaktuskris 6 NH (barharbor75@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 22:12

I recently visited the Philippines and found this flower...Any ideas as to what it is?

Christopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philippine Flower

It's a type of ginger, a Costus, but not sure which species or variety/cultivar. They grow very easily from cuttings (and can even become a bit weedy).

o

Grows tall, didn't know gingers got that big, must be two meters high at least,,,Interesting flower, the bee has to push past a 'door' to enter to pollinate...

Christopher

o

There's quite a range of different gingers, some grow very tall. Etlingeras can get to about 5 metres tall. I've got some that height. My tallest Costus get to 2+ metres, but I also have some smaller ones. Alpinias are another that can get up 4 to 5 metres. Their flowers can be quite unusual.

o

Hi
I have some Alpinias generally called shell ginger here , ,which are pushing 20 feet tall lol With stalks 4 inches in diameter . I made a mistake planting them in a shrub border
had no idea ANY ginger got that big lol. Very attractive flowers and are evergreen but want to take every square inch of the border. lol Incredible range of flowers ,leaf forms and habits iin that wonderful family except for those that go dormant during winter lol
tropic The Cassia roxburghii has finished flowering and has NOT produced a single seed!!! Hooray Sure not like the rest of the family!! gary

o

That's the trouble with a lot of gingers, just like heliconias. They don't know any limits, and just keep going. But funnily enough, the Costus and some of the other gingers are chewed right down to the ground by wallabies late in the dry season. Seems when other feed becomes more scarce they don't mind the taste of ginger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here